Afraid of getting in....please comment

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by FastandFurious, Jul 24, 2006.

1. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

"you could lose on any given trade"

Hello????

Losing is PART of trading. No trader has 100% winning percentage. Some traders who make a living have 50% wins. If you're afraid of a loss then you're in the wrong business. Trading with fear is almost like trading and hoping (for a profit). If you don't have a high level of confidence and a high probability trade then you shouldn't be putting the trade on.

#31     Jul 27, 2006
  2. There's a saying in poker, "Scared money never wins."

Like others have already stated, if you have done the homework and are concentrated/focused in your efforts then your fear of pulling the trigger should be minimized.

Your apprehension of getting involved is a good self-preservation instinct when you first start trading, it later will need to be controlled.

If you are mentally where you need to be, well capitalized, well studied and approach the markets with the right attitude; pulling the trigger is just one step in the process. If you have been doing this for a while and still feel this apprehension with every trade, then I would suggest that something isn't going well or being done correctly in your efforts away from actually trading (you're not studying enough, reading enough, open to learning, concentrating on the process, maybe distracted by things in life away from the markets/trading).

Remember, concentration on the process and the journey is key which leads us to be able to do the little things (the details) better.

Just my .02, take it as you like.

#32     Jul 27, 2006
  3. Afraid of getting in....please comment

If you don't (yet) know what you're doing, you're darn right to be scared like hell.

#33     Jul 27, 2006
  4. Funny story, when I was really young, just starting to play baseball when we actually had a pitcher on the other team.

I was always scared of getting hit by the ball, and because of this, I never swung properly, and I was always afraid, and was one of the worst hitters on our team, until I got hit one day, and it didn't really hurt so bad, and even better than that, my getting hit by the pitch led me to run home to get the winning run.

So just funny how things work out, but fear can really keep you from getting to your success and reach your full potential, when I look back at it, I don't know wtf I was always scared of, and regretted always being scared at the plate, because I was pretty much like that the whole season.

Made me be more confident at the plate, and now I look at life as myself being more confident, as when i started trading, I was fearful again, and almost could compare it to being back at the plate, scared to swing.... but with time, I conquered that fear and do much, much better because of it.

So some food for thought.

#34     Jul 27, 2006