affordable bloomberg access?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by 2cents, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Boy you are right about the graphics, I have heard that Bloomberg is considering a deal with Aspen Graphics for their charting.

#21     Jun 23, 2005
  2. hi TGM,
    no, didn't go for EBS in the end, i am currently clearing thru ACM (Refco world) and Gain (forex.com). Also have acct with Saxo and watching Oanda on the side...
    currently in talks with RBoS, they are offering direct access to their ESPs via the BB terminal...only 3% margin...am trying to get them to come to 1-2%, not a done deal :)

#22     Jun 23, 2005
  3. TGM

TGM

Well Bloomberg graphics definitely suck. NO ONE subscribes to Bloomberg for Graphics. I was referring to their deal with EBS. EBS is one of largest forex outfits. You can direct deal on Bloomberg with EBS. You have to have a prime account. With that said forex is moving fast and EBS is offering more platforms for their trading package.

LOL EBS is never going to deal with Tradestation on a direct platform.

I dropped Tradestation. They suck IMO. If you are dealing via EBS---you may want to look to CQG ---were you can subscribe to EBS data. Or look to the Metastock Reuters deal for 65 a month. Any of these is better than Tradestation.

What Prime Brokerage do you clear your EBS trades through?

#23     Jun 23, 2005
  4. For what you pay for a bloomberg terminal you would think you should get a decent charting pkg. If im not mistaken EBS is just for instutions and you need 10-20 million under management to deal with them. I know to execute thru bloomberg tradebook you must have 20 million under management.

#24     Jun 23, 2005
  5. jrkob

jrkob

There is some confusion. The reason why we link EBS to TradeStation is for the graphic capabilities of TradeStation, not to trade THROUGH TradeStation. We do not have a brokerage account with TradeStation, since we already have EBS ! This wouldn't make sense at all. We use the older TradeStation 2000i, which really has great graphic capability, I'm not sure I understand why you say TradeStation sucks. Did you mean as a broker ? If so then I can't comment obviously since we don't use them. As a graphic software, I think TS2000i is great, don't you agree ?
    And honestly, I don't think any investment bank use TradeStation as a broker ! Since TradeStation use investment banks as liquidity providers lol !

By the way, Rickshaw Man is right, EBS is for institutional/banks, the minimum tradable size is $1m (and of course this is spot trading, as in 100% cash, not talking about the leverage margin trading accessible to retail).

To my knowledge, EBS isn't accessible to retail, are they ?? If so then I'm completely aware and this must be a completely different platform from the institutional platform that we use in banks.

#25     Jun 23, 2005
  6. jrkob

jrkob

I do not understand the question. When I trade through EBS, my EBS terminal is connected to a printer and the name of my counterparty (for instance "Nomura Intl") is shown ONLY after the trade is done obviously, as well as the caracteristics of the trade.

I don't know what you mean by "Prime Brokerage". To my knowledge we don't have any account with such "Prime Brokerage" but I could be wrong, may be the back office knows. One thing I know for sure: we pay fees to EBS, and that's all. We don't pay any fee to any "Prime Brokerage".

#26     Jun 23, 2005
  7. interesting...met EBS last year but they didn't seem to be able to offer me access to no-requote ESP feeds + reasonable leverage...have just now found that via Refco FX Pro Trader offering (Currenex platform) and started a thread in the Forex section since i am still shopping around...
    any views re how EBS compares to Currenex, FXAll in terms of available liquidity around market announcement windows (economic data)?

#27     Jun 23, 2005
  8. jrkob

jrkob

2cents I don't understand, are you saying that EBS offers FX trading to retail ?

#28     Jun 23, 2005
  9. lojze

lojze

Why, actually, is Bloomberg so expensive,, when you can get news for 100$/month or less?

What's the difference between so expensive news providers and those the much cheaper one's?

Are they so much quickier, or ...?

#29     Jun 23, 2005
  10. jrkob

jrkob

Because as I said before, news is only a very small portion of what a Bloomberg package offers.

If all you need is news, then Bloomberg isn't a good choice, because of the cost.

#30     Jun 23, 2005