Advisory Services

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by maggandre, May 13, 2003.

1. Your perfomances for systems A, B, C, and D - up to which date does your performance consist of backtesting and historical data, and which date did you start actual implementation of the systems on a "real time" basis?

thnx...

#51     May 15, 2003
  2. Maggie - and all - great thread.

I would like to know has anyone had success - or can you recommend - a short selling service or newsletter?

I have several short set-ups I trade, and would like to apply them to stocks that others are shorting, whether for fundamental or technical reasons. My thinking is, if I find a candidate that meets my short criteria, and someone else is also shorting it (advisory/newsletter), I might get more bang for the buck.

So, to summarize my rambling post, has anyone had success - or can you recommend - a short selling service or newsletter?

#52     May 15, 2003
  3. Another thought - does anyone subscribe to Hulbert Financial Digest Monthly Newsletter? They rank investment newsletters - who are the top performers?

#53     May 15, 2003
  4. jester

jester Guest

#54     May 15, 2003
  5. jester

jester Guest

I printed out Berkshire Corp chairman letter 2002 and will read it this weekend (if not before then). What little I've absorbed before it is amazing this information FREELY available!

P2 you also mentioned that you use REalMoney Pro in some decision running your hedge fund, I have searched their site and cannot find pricing for the "RealMoneyPro" services? Can you let us know what it cost's per mo. and yearly if that is available?

what a great thread!:D

J-

#55     May 15, 2003
  6. I think it is now street insights...there should be a link off of the home page

#56     May 15, 2003
  7. Maggie - did you ever try any of these services - what is the verdict?

#57     Jun 13, 2003
  8. Actually, I did a lot of research and found several things:

1. The majority of "services" do not have a legitimate track record - meaning, they do not track all winners/losers over an acceptable period of time. Most list some trades. Many just put an equity curve/graph of what could have been made and list no trades. This issues has been discussed extensively on many threads, including this one. Suffice it to say that I looked at over 40 services, and less than a handful had a published, complete track record for all to view (my favorite lines - 1.) we publish the track record for our paying subscribers, and 2.) we have not had time to compile the trades to publish).

2. I did find a market timing service that uses ProFunds and had a good, published track record. I do not want to list the name here, as I do not want to be accused of Spamming. PM me if you are interested. I put my IRA money with them.

3. I found some good sites that helped me become more self-sufficient - they are:
    HardRightEdge - good info, and they also have free daily commentary from about six different sources.
    tradethemove.com - really helped with my Fibonacci knowledge
    parttimetrader.com - ditto Fibonacci, and free weekly commentary.

Good luck - and if you find any services with published track records, let me know.

#58     Jun 15, 2003
  9. www.americafirstinvestor.com

#59     Mar 7, 2004
  10. Try these:

daytradeteam.com
    winning-trader.com
    trend7.com

They publish their track records. The first two offer a free trial. I tried both, and they were legit. Actually made some $ off of their signals, but they have some weakness in their exit strategies -- especially Winning-trader, whose basic strategy is to buy equities on run-ups to earnings. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, except he recommended staying in one particular stock overnight during earnings. When the earnings missed expectations, the stock gapped down about 35% on the opening, leaving all overnighters caught with their pants down. The irony is that this stock had been up about 8% from Winning-trader's buy signal. If he had just gotten out right before earnings, he could have avoided the catastrophe, but he got greedy b/c he hadn't yet made his target profit of 10%. Oh, and if you look at his track record, one of his picks went BANKRUPT while he was in it. Not smooth.

(On this note, when NT gap up 20% on earnings the last time around, I was intrigued. CSCO was rumored to have strong earnings -- but screw rumor. I placed a conditional order on CSCO to go long or short iff the price deviated 3% from opening the morning after earnings. CSCO missed earnings (at least, that was the spin), the price floated downward through the morning, my short order was triggered when the price was 3% down from the open, and I picked up a few % more of the decline before covering. That's a fun and fairly risk-free way of snagging some profits. See whispernumber.com for earnings propaganda.)

The question has been posed in this thread: Why would these entities publish their signals if their systems are that good? I suspect it's the simple impulse to show the world their abilities -- and they do make good $. I believe the above services charge a few hundred bucks a quarter for their services.

As for me, I prefer to learn to fish rather than take a handout.

#60     Apr 4, 2004