advise for new trader??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by martyg, Jul 6, 2001.

1. martyg

martyg

Im about to open an IB account in the next few months and start day-trading with around 100-300 shares at a time. Can anyone recommend a few good stocks to start with? Ive heard DIS, MO, and Ford were good choices for beginners, any others? Id like to pick a few and start watching them before I even open the account. Also would it be better to start my trading with strictly NYSE stocks or NASDAQ or a few of each? I understand the differences between the two markets, but would it be harder for me to get the hang of one versus the other? Thanks for any help getting me started.
    Marty

2. statetech

statetech

I think the more pressing question is whether or not you have a strategy. After that, seeks stocks that fit your strategy.

Just an idea.

3. To trade dis the way you do, you would need positions around 3-8k, otherwise it isn't worth your trouble to scalp it. I recommend looking at my Great New Pattern stuff. Try trading those, maybe using options to give you more leverage.

4. Babak

Babak

this may not be what you want to hear but I would advise you to start swing trading and then to slowly reduce your trading/holding time.

the shorted your time frame the more experience/confidence you need, IMHO.

a good swingtrading community is http://www.momentumstockplays.com

they also have their own yahoo! group (I don't have the address right now but you can find it by searching on yahoo!groups)

it is not about hyping, or cheerleading but good old fashioned technical analysis and money management. And its free

wish you the best in your new endeavour

5. NKNY

NKNY

BABAK

Thanks for the website....

Might be shoring biotechs this week if the weakness continues.....

Nick

6. Babak, thanks for the site. Very nice.