Advice

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Maharaja, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Sorry, I meant AIM name...NOT AOL...
    I don't use AOL. AOL sucks as an ISP. High speed internet my ass.

#31     Feb 19, 2004
  2. sjp

sjp

Doesn't sound like much of a choice to me.... Either stay at intel in the computer room earning a good living and eventually marrying an intersting girl from the cybertronic department.

Or........daytrade and spread your cheeks everyday for a load of people who will gladly relieve you of your dignity, your happiness and your money. Up to you pal, I'd stick with being a computer boffin.

Yours
    Concerned Trader

p.s You wont find advice that good in any book, no matter how many times you read it. Dont be a cheek spreader.

#32     Feb 19, 2004
  3. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

If you have no job then sure give trading a shot - there is a lot to learn for you outside of engineering ......

But ... If Intel - or someone else -makes an offer take it. What the heck did you go to school for in engineering if you are not going to use it ? Try being a real engineer - not just a textbook engineer - and see if you like it.... THEN make a decision about changing directions ....

#33     Feb 19, 2004
  4. Start trading. If you start at a prop firm then be sure to talk to as many people as you can. You will be suprised at what you learn. If after a couple of months things aren't working out then take the Intle job. I had a similar experience where I took a job trading not knowning anything about trading at all. Needless to say I was done after 3-months then I took an engineering job. Despite my unsuccessfult first attempt at trading I would not trade the experience for anything. Until that point I didn;t even know what trading was. My investment and finacial IQ was practically zero. I learned motre in those 3-months about about money that I had learned in my previous 23 years.

The biggest difference is that within a year after graduating I got married and my wife has two kids from a previous marriage and we bought a house. So for right now trading for a living is out of the question for me. I do trade on the side as well as attend school for a masters.

Don't underestimate either route. Trading is extrememly tough under any circumstances, especially when your lively hood is on the line. Although I can say that working a regular job, working on a masters, trading FX and raising a family is one hell of a task as well, but I do not derive my living from trading. Yet!

With that being said, now that I have started trading again I would do it full time if I could. There truly is nothing like it.

#34     Feb 19, 2004