Advice you wish you had gotten in your early 20s

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Sikhinvestor, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Can someone more able explain this to me... It will be greatly appreciated from the very very bottom depths of my heart.

Yours Truly..

#61     Mar 8, 2007
  2. That every time you masturbate you lose 1 hour of your life.

#62     Mar 8, 2007
  3. lindq

lindq

I'm going to assume that you are being serious in your questions.

The value of leverage in owning your own home is as follows:

1. Assuming 10% down, every 10% move up in price will double your invested cash, which builds equity. Long term, housing prices have averaged over 8% a year. You do the math.
    2. Mortage interest is tax deductible. Do the math.
    3. Gains on the investment in your home are TAX FREE up to 500K for a couple, so long as you have lived in the home for 2 years.
    4. You are living in your investment. Keep trading up, and you'll retire real estate rich.

Don't believe me? I live in Scottsdale, where million dollar homes are commonplace. And the couples living in them, for the most part, just started buying in their 20s, and kept intelligently trading up as they built more equity. The easiest money in the world.

I bought my first house with 5% down and an 18% interest rate. That's right. 18%. And people say that interest rates are high now? This is a walk in the park. A no brainer.

The current downturn happens every 10-15 years. No big deal. A great buying opportunity. Sellers are anxious, lenders are making deals at (still) low interest rates, there is plenty of money to lend, and new home builders are almost giving away inventory.

I've never seen a better environment for first-time home buyers.

#63     Mar 8, 2007
  4. Why?

#64     Mar 8, 2007
  5. jem

jem

First day of college, first class.

Astronomy professor Herman H Hobbs said

When you are doing school work have your mind on your school work. when you are with your friends have your mind with your friends and when you are with your girl have your mind on your girl. This is great advice you must learn to compartmentalize your thoughts to avoid stress.

My personal advice.

Decide right now if you are going to sacrifice the next 20 years of your life for a career that could set you up for retirement in your 40s. If the answer is yes then pick a path that has lots of opportunity and work you damn ass off and socialize with decision makers. Do not spend any time question your decision. You do not want to try and have a balanced life if you have made it your goal to be a partner a big firm or programmer who spends insane hours developing a killer app or whatever it is. Decide if you are on that path and then tear it up.

Otherwise, maximize your enjoyment vs time and money for the next 5-10 years then go to grad school and realize some of your peers hit the mulimilliion dollar lifestyle but many did not. But in the mean time you were in shape and loved life.

I would say, travel, ski, surf, read books and then go to grad school. The prime of life is short

#65     Mar 8, 2007
  6. john99

john99

Lets some up what people have said so far:
    *save money,
    *bang hoes,
    *stay single,
    *buy real estate,
    *time is more important than money,
    *get a good job you like,
    *don't waste time on internet forums,
    *bang more hoes and don't catch any diseases in the process.
    *get an education
    *learn the jack hershey method
    *work your butt off

To some this up in a sentence:

Get an education, get a good job, work hard, save money, have sex, buy a house, have fun and travel.

#66     Mar 8, 2007
  7. If you want to be heard speak up, if you want to be seen stand up, but if you want to be appreciated shut up

#67     Mar 8, 2007
  8. Well, the flip side is I'm rich and aimless in my 40's. Just got to get a personal trainer I guess.

Traveler

#68     Mar 8, 2007
  9. Joab

Joab

What goes around comes around.

Treat people with respect and dignity and they will want to be around you and will need you. (This is the best career builder of all).

Stay positive BUT prepare for the unexpected.

And Number ONE

Health is EVERYTHING protect your Mind, Body and Soul , stay away from toxic situations.... feed and balance your life.

#69     Mar 8, 2007
  10. Thats bulls_t. If I shut up where I work I would NOT be appreciated. You cant add value if you shut up.

#70     Mar 8, 2007