Advice you wish you had gotten in your early 20s

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Sikhinvestor, Mar 7, 2007.

1. that's the best advice so far on this thread!

#21     Mar 7, 2007
  2. Advice I got but didn't listen to. At 22, fresh out of the military I was contemplating my next move, college or a job in the mill. I felt I was too old to start college. My Uncle, the only college graduate in the entire family at the time put it to me like this.
    You're 22, right? How old will you be in four years if you go to college. 26, right? And how old will you be in four years if you don't go to college? 26, right. The question is, do you want to be 26 with, or without a college degree? You'll be 26 in four years either way.
    Know it all that I was, I blew off college. Been paying for that mistake ever since, 30+ years. It hasn't been all bad, but it's been a whole lot harder than it had to be.

#22     Mar 7, 2007
  3. Man, you are obsessed with JH :D

#23     Mar 7, 2007
  4. I am in my late 20's now and the best advice I got in my early 20's was from that little voice in my head. Something along the lines of "working for someone else blows, try and find something you love to do where you are in control of your schedule and the profit potential is great as well". Well, followed that voice and still have a lot of time to find out where it will lead.

#24     Mar 7, 2007
  5. Waste money, but not time...money comes back, but minutes are hard to find.

#25     Mar 7, 2007
  6. Save .

Save EVERY goddamn cent you can scrounge up, and dont spend it-EVER.

Dont waste money on junk, or bad habits, if you can poosibly manage it.

Do not, ever, go into debt.

#26     Mar 7, 2007
  7. Found out you want to be an employer or an employee, don't waste time doing trying to be someone you don't want to be...

#27     Mar 7, 2007
  8. rzepe5

rzepe5

Work as hard as you can for as long as you can and you'll never look back and ask yourself if there is something else you could have done.

#28     Mar 7, 2007
  9. Do not ever go into debt is a good one, but needs to be prefaced. Anyone with a finance degree or can google can look up what a WACC is. Now its ok to use finance to leverage your resources vs. sitting on all cash, but my advice would be to make sure your personal WACC is never out of wack.
    :D

#29     Mar 7, 2007
  10. volente_00

volente_00

Find a way to make money doing what you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.

#30     Mar 7, 2007