Advice to a newbie

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Dr. Trader, Apr 22, 2004.

1. I'm lighter then butane today. I did thank those for their kind responses. Of course, you offered no advice about books, so i'm not at liberty to thank you. You have offered much sarcastic banter, though.

I would hardly call my behavior aggresive. Passive is more like it. As far as recognising a friend by his name, which drug are you on?

#41     Apr 23, 2004
  2. If you did not say/think this, why then does your conscience compel you to respond when I was not even addressing you? :)

The advice you are getting is more valuable than the advice you asked for. Perhaps you are not yet ready for it though.

Trading is not about being smart. The markets have a way of exploiting our personality flaws. When someone new comes along with what appears to be an obvious flaw, sometimes we can be overzealous in our attempts to "help". For that, I apologize. Welcome to ET and to trading :).

-qwik

#42     Apr 23, 2004
  3. Spitfire

Spitfire

Ok Muppet

today is your lucky day.

Bundmaster and I ( well him actually) have set up a thread 'us bonds and notes'. See how it grabs you.

#43     Apr 23, 2004
  4. Turok

Turok

Dr. Trader. If you have not yet learned about the ignore feature here on ET then NOW is the time.

I would be proud of my MBA also (if I had one). I am proud of other things. I do not buy into the accusations of hubris as applied to you. Cranks will be cranks.

Best wishes.

JB

#44     Apr 23, 2004
  5. Well put. Thank you for reminding me of that feature :)

#45     Apr 23, 2004
  6. Spitfire

Spitfire

oh my god you found me out.

#46     Apr 23, 2004
  7. Dr. Trader:
    Over time, I have found that a population of wannabe's exists here (who knows why). Seems they are member of three groups, drunks (or high), eccentrics, or just plain stupid. Apparently they like to post for the attention. I am reading a couple of books that seem to be promising as follows:

1. Quantitative Trading Strategies by Lars Kestner
    2. Trade like a Fund: 20 Successful Uncorrelated Strategies and
    Techniques to Winning Profits by James Altucher.

If you need more basic references, PM me. Also you may want to try Wilmott.com. website. That site is run by Paul Wilmott, and seems to have a population of students working in finance on the quantitative methods side. Because the discussions are often technical, posters tend to be more coherent and capable of abstract thought.

Good luck, Steve46

#47     Apr 23, 2004
  8. Try Reminicicies of a stock operator - clearly i cannot spell.

that is what spitfire was trying to tell you. You should take his advice if you really want to be a successful trader - he is, believe me.

#48     Apr 23, 2004
  9. I doubt that Spitfire was successful at anything. In order to be successful, you have to be able to process information, think critically, and focus. The poster indicated that he/she had a background in business (MBA), and asked for suggestions for reading. What part of that request is hard to understand? Read Spitfire's posts. If I had to guess I would say he had a buzz on and couldn't find his ass with both hands. Personally, I have had enough of it. Steve46

#49     Apr 23, 2004
  10. Ah, I hear the whine of a little boy whose feelings have been hurt. Well Prince/Spitfire (or whoever you are) I don't have time for your ridiculous crap. Don't understand? Go find an adult to explain it to you. Have another beer mate.

#50     Apr 23, 2004