advice on selling a strategy

Discussion in 'Trading' started by vladiator, Aug 14, 2002.

1. understand sarcasm much???

#11     Aug 15, 2002
  2. if thats the situation then more power to ya!

and as Joseph Cambell said: "Follow Your Bliss.." :p

#12     Aug 15, 2002
  3. trader99

trader99

So, it seems like you enjoy SYSTEM DEVELOPMENT/research more than the actual mechanics of trading.

I understand how you feel. I used to be in quant research and when I was doing it I though tthat was EVERYTHING! I enjoyed it IMMENSELY and it was very intellectually stimulating. But I switch to more active role and trading because i like to see my ideas in action plus potentially higher payoffs too.

But if the system si the "holy grail" which no such thign exist, then it's obviously better to trade it yourself and make millions then selling it.

However, tradign has several undesirable side effects as well:

1) Stress
    2) Constnat Performance Orientation/Monitoring
    3) And somewhat intellectually "boring" at times. Because you are not really coming up with new ideas. You are just doing the same strategy over and over and over.. That's execution.

good luck!

#13     Aug 15, 2002
  4. if you want to be platform independent, here is a link that may help: http://www.fmlabs.com/toolkit.htm

they sell blocks of VB or C++ code that you can "slap together" to build an advanced charting package.

if they have all the functions that you need, you could hire your computer programmer brother in law to "slap it all together" including your trading system into a single, compiled program with only the items you need. avoiding the re-invent the wheel syndrome. and putting it all into a platform independent program with high security.

good luck!

#14     Aug 15, 2002
  5. Thanks, I'll check it out. I hope an advanced charting package is not the only thing I can build with it. The way the system works, I don't need to see any charts at all... Just do a bunch of screens.

#15     Aug 15, 2002
  6. Good Luck....I suggest at least a good year of documentation, and then try to sell the program. Make a million or so first, then your credibility goes way up. Blair Hull sold his "system" and company 2 years ago for over $400 Million....

Don

#16     Aug 15, 2002
  7. Just a suggestion if you are going to make that $1,000,000 first... pick a big retail broker where you can hopefully stay under the radar and not get noticed!

Jack

#17     Aug 15, 2002
  8. Thanks for the link to that Cracking Wall Street article.

Really interesting!

Thanks Again :)

#18     Aug 15, 2002
  9. How does one go about getting into quant research? What companies hire? Where do I look to get more info? I'm an undergrad and have just recently come across the field and it sounds very interesting to me.

#19     Aug 15, 2002
  10. I think you do both. Part of the success enjoyed by system sellers is that not everyone will take every trade, not everyone will trade the system the same regardless of the concrete rules, and not everyone will trade every stock signalled.

So trade it for millions, and sell it for millions more. That's free money.

One thing is certain...

#20     Aug 15, 2002