Advice on car

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Nov 21, 2005.

Which Car?

1. New PT Cruiser

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Jeep Liberty

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both suck - suggest car

52 vote(s)
    83.9%
  1. The Brazilians are very successful producing ethanol from sugar as a transporation fuel. Their total costs are under $1/gallon. Corn is a much less energy efficient feedstock for producing ethanol. The US corn ethanol industry is a product of intense lobbying by ADM.

Martin

#31     Nov 23, 2005
  2. Jeep Liberty? Chrysler's SUV's have NEVER had a service record I would want to stomach. The Wifey has always liked the Liberty and before that the Cherokee. A solid POS they are when reliability is in the crosshairs.
    I tell her - YOU get the alternate ride to work and back to the dealer when the POS breaks down - DON'T call me. Well she sees the "reliability record" (lack of that is) in CR and - well makes for a very weak case to still put the cash down. Gots to get over the "love of the look" - if the reliability sucks!
    Look at the service records of the Corvette- unbelievable how they sell those things! (Right, no phallic "compensation" needed by this poster either)
    -I'm all prick in some folk's opinion!! :D

PT Crusier? Only if you are kin to Roger Rabbit. Cheap Chryslers (Jeep Liberty again) have all ways been crap quality and best left in the garage! - The dealers that is!

I too have watched the dependability of MOST Japanese cars over the past +30 years. Sh!t, they taught the American car market that you better start selling a waterpump that will last > 50K miles. (just for starters) American trim and bells seem to always breakdown. Look at the rotting paint jobs around town. Mostly USA - someone saved a nickle per unit on the paint formula and - gee, now all the silver cars that year didn't hold up for 5 years. BS!!

Great experience with the Acura Integra and currently 65K on a Pathfinder with ZERO problems - other than battery, tires and such.

I all ways start a new car out with synthetic lubricants also. Oil changes at 7500 or so and better at the "job" to be done.

#32     Nov 23, 2005
  3. nitro

nitro

Close to getting a car. I am seriously considering a Scion (division of Toyota.) Test drove the tC and I could not believe it - it drives better than my '03 325i. I am going to test drive the xA tomorrow because I am leaing towards four doors and more room - the tC has only two doors, but it does have a hatch.

http://www.scion.com/

nitro

#33     Dec 6, 2005
  4. Ever consider a Wrangler? I just got one about a year ago and they are fun to drive. In the summer time, nothing beats driving around with no top and no doors. They can 4 wheel like no other truck i have ever ridden in, super manuverable. There is a HUGE aftermarket for them if you are into modding it. I got the 4.0 liter 6 cylender with a 5 speed and for a truck, these things have some nice pickup. I can chirp second gear with no problem. The only drawback is they only get around 15-17mpg, shaped like a brick so it doesn't really cut through the wind.

[​IMG]

#34     Dec 6, 2005
  5. BMW X-5 Sport Activity Vehicle.

Best Car on the road today, bar none. Runs like a bat outta hell on the open road. Tight German suspension. Great throttle response when you want it. Get's an average 23 MPG(city and hwy, mountain and flat) Super low emissions. Seats 5 asses easily....w/plenty of storage space in the bonnet. Air Bags absolutely everywhere. Holds the road like a freaking Mountain Goat on snowy/icy roads. Built-in iPod capability. Stock 12 speaker sound system thumps. 5yr/50,000 mile warranty where you don't pay for so much as an oil change.

IMO, Can't be beat.

http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/x5

#35     Dec 6, 2005
  6. The PT Cruiser is a butt ugly car on a Neon chassis. It appears to be trying to make a statement. I, for one, am relieved that I don't "get it." On the other hand, Jeeps are nice if you actually need an SUV. Admittedly, I am commenting only on the aesthetics. However, from what little I have read about such matters, there is nothing really going for the PT. Did I mention that it's butt ugly?

Toyota and Honda are considered to be the best built and most reliable cars for the money, and they offer a fairly wide selection between them.

#36     Dec 6, 2005
  7. Choad

Choad

Wife has a Toyota Corolla and daughter has an Echo.

80,000+ miles each and zero problems. None.

Add in 38-42 miles/gallon and you get a decent package wi/plenty of zip, trunk and people space, etc, for this old bozo...

JMHO

#37     Dec 6, 2005
  8. nitro

nitro

Thanks,

I have considered the Wrangler and I like it alot. I have a Mustang conv now and I agree about the summer with top down.

The issue with the Wrangler is that imo it is overpriced for what it is. Secondly the gas mileage as you point out is terrible.

nitro

#38     Dec 6, 2005
  9. nitro

nitro

Thanks for the reply.

About $30k more than I want to spend. But no question that car is a looker.

It's little brother is not bad either...

nitro

#39     Dec 6, 2005
  10. nitro

nitro

Thanks for the reply.

I agree. One problem that people don't take into consideration with American vs Japanese etc cars is that if you keep your cars a long time like I do (10+ years) when it comes time to replace the parts the Japanese cars are much more expensive to maintain because the parts cost more. There is no secret to why they last longer and have less problems - they use quality parts but those parts cost more.

As to the corrolla, take a look at the tC - less money, better car with more standard features and waaay more fun to drive. Probably the best car bargain on the planet.

nitro

#40     Dec 6, 2005