Advice on car

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Nov 21, 2005.

Which Car?

1. New PT Cruiser

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Jeep Liberty

7 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both suck - suggest car

52 vote(s)
    83.9%
  1. Atlantic

Atlantic

smaller cars - look feminine ...

well - why not see it the other way - everyone (man) who drives a huuuge car should be asked / asking himself why ...

#21     Nov 22, 2005
  2. MRWSM

MRWSM

Whatever you get, make sure it is E85 capable (Ethanol 85%). This is the future and will help make an impact on the oil.

#22     Nov 22, 2005
  3. Amen, brother.

#23     Nov 22, 2005
  4. Stay away from nissan x-terras. 16 MPG and if you tow anything it goes down to 10 MPG. I just bought a car recently and was trying to decide between Jeep liberty and x-terra...I was going to go with jeep but i heard some bad reviews about and did some more research....finally got a honda CR-V Great gas mileage. (21 city 25 freeway and this is from personal experience not what the sticker says which is always wrong as they usually inflate the numbers) Plus it was rated 4.55 out of 5 stars by people that actually own the cars. I think there was about 300 or so who rated it. You can check out this to see whats good

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/used-cars/used-cars-best-and-worst-405.htm

#24     Nov 22, 2005
  5. volente_00

volente_00

get a Toyota 4runner

My wife's gets 18-19 mpg, decent size, easy to park and very forgiving in crashes :)

pt cruisers suck on resale value. My friend bought one for his wife and they could not give it away when they wanted to sell it. He ended up losing like 5 k on it. The drivetrain is all from a dodge neon.

#25     Nov 22, 2005
  6. nitro

nitro

That is a good tip. Thanks.

nitro

#26     Nov 22, 2005
  7. nitro

nitro

Very useful. Thanks.

nitro

#27     Nov 22, 2005
  8. nitro

nitro

I have decided I am going to hold off based on all the good feedback on this thread and test drive some more used cars.

I will see if I can test drive a used 4Runner.

Thanks for all the replies.

nitro

#28     Nov 22, 2005
  9. From what I've read, this assertion is debatable.

Cornell ecologist's study finds that producing ethanol and biodiesel from corn and other crops is not worth the energy.

ITHACA, N.Y. -- Turning plants such as corn, soybeans and sunflowers into fuel uses much more energy than the resulting ethanol or biodiesel generates, according to a new Cornell University and University of California-Berkeley study.

"There is just no energy benefit to using plant biomass for liquid fuel," says David Pimentel, professor of ecology and agriculture at Cornell. "These strategies are not sustainable."

Economics of corn ethanol in the U.S.

While the energy balance of ethanol production is controversial and estimates vary widely, the economics are more certain. Ethanol production from corn costs $1.10 per US gallon (290 $/m²). [7] This figure takes into account a government subsidy of $0.214 per US gallon (57 $/m²). Additionally, corn farmers receive subsidies equivalent to about $0.61 per US gallon (161 $/m²) of ethanol. Finally, the government subsidizes $0.54 per US gallon (143 $/m²) of ethanol sold as fuel. Totaling these subsidies and including the $1.10 cost of production gives <b>$2.464 per US gallon (651 $/m²) of ethanol.</b>

Would ethanol even be used as fuel if not for government subsidies? I'm not an expert on energies, and am not convinced either way.

#29     Nov 22, 2005
  10. get a used toyota - camry is the best or maybe higher end. forget the SUV craze....

#30     Nov 23, 2005