Advice on buying some Pistols

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Baron, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Lucias

Lucias

I once lived in a high crime area. I was working contract position making big bucks and only a few miles from where I worked there were 4-5 violent crimes in my first 2 weeks.

I was never involved in any incidents but I do not think being loaded would have been of use in many of the incidents. Examples

A. Several armed gangsters pull up beside the target car and start shooting. He drove off unharmed. A gun would be of no benefit because you would be A. outgunned and B. in no position to use it.

B. A man tries to rob another and starts shooting. The guy runs and escape unharmed. Gun maybe of benefit but you would be caught off guard.

If you are really concerned about safety, I recommend putting outside deadbolts on the bedroom doors, keep a cell phone in bedroom at all time, and ensuring the windows are secure. Keep bedroom doors locked at all times when sleeping. You may also want to consider a safe room or turning the bedroom into a mini safe room. Also, ensure the room is secure from the attic. If on ground floor, windows should be secured with bars.

Get a security system. Use doors that lock automatically. Put deadbolts on all doors and keep them deadbolt. Get motion lights too. I think if you do this you will dramatically reduce the risk of anything happening to you in your home. Never open the door to a suspicious stranger.

If you have a cell phone and deadbolted bedroom there is no way you will be surprised at night and with an alarm system, any intruder will only have about 15-30 seconds before security comes out. All you have to do is stay in the bedroom. If you are not asleep and some suspicious starts to mess around a window or bang on the door then you can always go to bedroom and call police. So, the only way you will get "got" is the case where you let someone inside or you are in/outside at the time. If you don't open door to suspicious people then that rules that out.

Before considering to get a gun, you may want to consider to get a taser (if there are any personal use models) and/or pepper spray. A great benefit is a reduced risk of improper use and also it can be used in dangerous situations where you wouldn't want to shoot someone.

Consider to get a dog but only if you are prepared to take care of it. A dog is a companion/family member that must be cared for up to 12-15 years. Large/protective dogs require training. A good dog will be better then a gun but also is a bigger investment both in money , time, and emotion.

#41     Jul 20, 2011
  2. nitro

nitro

3. If you're already proficient with a 12 ga, as you have said you are, consider the Rem 870. That with a slug at close range is very effective. Single projectile means less collateral damage. Wall-Mart sells them cheap and over the counter; no waiting.

But, the greatest deterants to crime are alarms and dogs. Get some ADT signs in your yard (call a salesman and get an estimate; he'll give you free signs) and put a big, dirty, chewed up dog's bowl, dog toys, etc. by the front door with BAD DOG signs.

#43     Jul 20, 2011
  4. nitro

nitro

Deterrent

[​IMG]

#44     Jul 20, 2011
  5. Was this Hapton Roads, or Baltimore area?

#45     Jul 20, 2011
  6. LEAPup

LEAPup

Not for carry. It's just impossible to carry concealed without pulling your pants down on one side + the printing it will do through clothes.

And a "can't miss gun?" NEVER be in that frame of mind. Shotgun shells have the tendency to make people feel that way, but you don't ever want to have a "can't miss" mindset. That's bad for your health.:eek:

#46     Jul 20, 2011
  7. LEAPup

LEAPup

#47     Jul 20, 2011
  8. Lucias

Lucias

On second thought: Instead of getting bars, might want to just shop around for secure windows in case of fire and for aesthetics.

I honestly don't think you should get a gun. You sound scared. Scared people shouldn't have guns. Also, if you are concerned about your home primarily then keeping an emergency phone, getting a security system, and putting up a heavy duty door in the bedroom with a deadbolt will probably keep you safer.

One thing I notice about all the people who made it out alive when they got shot at was they ran. Not sure if this means anything but it did stick in my mind.

PS: I like the beware of dog sign even if you don't have one. It is required when a dog has bite someone before and could be a deterrent.

#48     Jul 20, 2011
  9. LEAPup

LEAPup

Here's the solution. Hang an engine block from a tree limb in your front yard. In the words of Jeff Foxworthy, "I GUARANTEE you there's a gun in that house! And they will USE it!":D :D :D

#49     Jul 20, 2011
  10. BSAM

BSAM

A dictator with guns?? What's next???:eek: :p :eek:

(Baron, get yourself a S&W Magnum 357 Model 65. Simple, easy to use. No safety to have to fiddle with when in a hurry.)

#50     Jul 20, 2011