Advice on buying some Pistols

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Baron, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Wallet, you are right. I was thinking of the Judge. Thanks.

#31     Jul 19, 2011
  2. Wallet

Wallet

#32     Jul 19, 2011
  3. Eight

Eight

I asked a similar question of a cop once. He said to get a short barreled shotgun. He said that crooks will run away very fast after they hear the sound of you jacking a round in it. A short barrel will have a wide pattern so you will hit what you are aiming at even if firing from the hip, you can put laser sights on those probably, that might further intimidate somebody if it's dark and they spot the laser beam and it will help you hit what you want to and miss what you want to...

Very definitely take some classes and spend some time often at the shooting range.. you shouldn't have a hard time finding somebody to go along, lots of people love the range...

If you have trouble pulling the trigger in a real situation that's one thing, some of us will not kill somebody in a war, many in fact... to me it's just a job that might fall to me some day and I'll do a bang up job if necessary, but that's just me...

There is a whole mindset that goes with personal combat. I always have two dogs and they get the idea after awhile that I don't want them barking at just anything, I want them barking when it's something real.. all my dogs have been able to get that, I get up every time they bark in the night but if it's nothing I tell them to be quiet and if it's not nothing I don't discourage them but I respond every time, that way they learn the job. My neighbors have complimented me on how lots of dogs bark but when mine bark they go check it out!!

#33     Jul 19, 2011
  4. Actually the neighborhood itself was really nice. But there was a large government housing project in the area which was a breeding ground for criminals. There was also a lot of heroin dealing which fueled the crime problem.

I once walked to the 7/11 to buy milk and I had to call an ambulance for a guy that had been stabbed 8 time in the thighs. His lips were blue and an he was going into shock. I knew it was over a drug debt because they avoided all his organs. They didn't want to kill him, just make sure he paid.

The prick working the counter at 7/11 made me pay for the phone call. Even though the ambulance is a free call. He didn't even care that a guy was dying at the fuel pump outside his door.

#34     Jul 19, 2011
  5. LEAPup

LEAPup

Read the reviews on the judge. It's a total marketing joke. Trust me, it's not what people should buy for self defense. Come on guys...

#35     Jul 19, 2011
  6. volente_00

volente_00

#36     Jul 19, 2011
  7. volente_00

volente_00

What's your issue with it ?

My buddy keeps one on his nightstand and loves it. He has many pistols but being in an apartment setting had him worried about collateral damage so that is why he bought his.

#37     Jul 19, 2011
  8. LEAPup

LEAPup

My only issues are what I experienced through ownership of one. Lol I started researching it on forums AFTER I bought the silly thing, and the reviews were pretty sour. It's more of a "gimmicky," marketing piece than anything tactical.

It's impossible to carry concealed. It "prints" too much under anything besides some eskimo's snowsuit.

It's not a quality piece of craftsmanship. I wouldn't use it to protect my Family and myself. No way. The lack of crastsmanship was the sell button for me vs. the tactical issues it has...

There are better options out there. Remember, shot placement through proper sight alignment, correct trigger squeeze, all while having to come awake quickly, be under stress, etc., and engage a deadly enemy... It certainly can be done to protect a Family, and has done so for centuries.

What's wrong with them having a reliable 2 1/2" six round .38 Special with ruber grips and the crimson trace lazer? The key to over-penetration ammunition choice and the handgun. I would chose a hollow point round that has max energy expended upon penetration, expansion, and probability of staying withit the target. If the hollow point "mushrooms" as it should, the tissue will slow it vs. a round nose full metal jacket round that is much more commonly purchased by mistake.

#38     Jul 20, 2011
  9. volente_00

volente_00

LOL, you really bought it for a carry ? To me it is a night stand gun and nothing more. In the heat of the moment with adrenaline flowing and an attacker in the dark coming at you it is a can't miss weapon that offers peace of mind that you won't hit the neighbors or your kids sleeping in the next room. I've never been a big taurus fan myself and would never personally buy one.

#39     Jul 20, 2011
  10. If you are going to buy a gun for you and your wife for self defense and you do not have any experience with firearms i would suggest you go to your local indoor firing range and purchase a .38 revolver, snubnose S&W makes a nice one. Get instruction from the indoor range master. Bring your wife with you and practice at the range until you both become proficient in its' use. anything more than a .38 will be harder to handle for a novice. once you feel comfortable using this weapon then buy another one. Practice regularly with them. I keep one on each floor well hidden so if someone breaks into the house you have access to it. I keep mine loaded in holsters. you and your wife must keep it in the same place so each of you know where it is. Always let your spouse know when you are expected home and a phone call right before you arrive is not a bad idea. You do not want to mistaken a family member for an intruder!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck, Hope this was helpful Baron.

#40     Jul 20, 2011