Advice on buying some Pistols

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Baron, Jul 19, 2011.

1. For home defense, a revolver is clearly the best choice for self defense if you are not going to the range every week to practice with a semi. Even with a semi with no safety, there is always the remote chance of a misfire. So, while the bad guy is running toward you, will you or your wife have the state of mind to re-chamber? Revolver, point and fire. Misfire, no problem, just keep pulling the trigger.

Taurus makes a model called the defender. It shoots 45 shells or 410 shells (use buckshot).

If someone is intent on doing you or your wife bodily harm, they will probably be armed as well. You may have only seconds to respond from a dead sleep.

In spite of advice I have heard against it. I believe that the best first line of defense upon hearing a breakin during the night, is a shot through the roof. The bad guy knows then that you are armed, aware of his presence and that the neighbors probably heard the shot as well. Then call 911 and watch the door. My 2c worth.

#21     Jul 19, 2011
  2. Sorry to hijack, but since it is a gun thread I thought I'd ask. Anyone have advice for appraisals for antique guns? My Dad has handed over his guns, and my wife is not real thrilled. I'll probably keep anyway, but I think I need to get them appaised at the least. I now have a WWII German Luger and holster taken off a soldier, a P -38 Walther, and a couple of older guns also, and a flint lock rifle, possibly missing it's firing pin.
    I'd like to keep the WWII guns and maybe shoot them, but would be concerned with making sure they are safe to shoot.
    Any input appreciated.

#22     Jul 19, 2011
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Any gunsmith should be able to look over the ones you want to shoot and verify their safety. Although generally speaking as long as they're not damaged or suffering from corrosion you should be OK. I'd be more concerned about the muzzle loader than the WWII firearms.

I maybe wrong but I wasn't aware flint locks had a firing pin.

:)

#23     Jul 19, 2011
  4. LEAPup

LEAPup

It's all about correct sight alignment and trigger control under stress. A .38 Special revolver with a crimson trace lazer grip would do quite well. Just have to put the rounds where they count. Shot placement.

And a shot through the roof, I can't recommend as it would give away your position plus what if you are downstairs? If you let a round go through the roof, and it's the average thug wanting to steal some cash, etc., I'm sure he'd run. If someone is intending to do harm, they would be armed as you pointed out. All safety issues aside with letting one go through the roof, I wouldn't want to give up any tactical advantage by doing that, thus giving up my position.

#24     Jul 19, 2011
  5. Wallet

Wallet

#25     Jul 19, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

#26     Jul 19, 2011
  7. I used to live in a neighborhood that had a really high burglary rate. 40% of households per year.

We went to a security firm and got some window stickers that said. 'This premises in under video surveillance' and we never got robbed in 6 years.

Having a dog is also a great warning system. As well as a great friend.

I'd recommend the above options before you concern yourself with guns.

Prevention is better than cure.

#27     Jul 19, 2011
  8. there are really neighborhoods like that?!?

i am glad you have escaped.

#28     Jul 19, 2011
  9. Lucrum

Lucrum

#29     Jul 19, 2011
  10. Tactical advantage? Middle of the night, all lights off. Where do you think you would be? Where do you think he would think you would be?

Downstairs, different story. I do not usually have a gun within reach at home. I guess I would be running up the stairs. "don't move, I'll be right back!"

I do have friends who have a gun hidden in every room, and one on their person as well. I am just not that paranoid yet.

Why I would shoot through the roof:

When I was much younger I had a job out of town. I unexpectedly got a day off and thought I would surprise my wife. I was also so happy about the day off that I hit a few bars back in my hometown, arriving at la hacienda about 2:wtf:o am. Crept up the stairs and my cautious wife had locked the bedroom door as she always did when I was away. I began to beat on the door to "surprise her". When the screaming subsided enough that she could hear my voice she opened the door and gave me a lot of information, among which was that had she had a gun, I would be dead.

Most of my friends and family are pretty stable, but you never know.
    But I believe the sound of a 45 would stabilize them for long enough to identify themselves.

#30     Jul 19, 2011