Advice on buying some Pistols

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Baron, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Baron

Baron ET Founder

So I'm talking with an acquaintance of mine that I haven't seen in years and he tells me the story about how his life has been a living hell since the last time I saw him. In short, a couple guys broke into his house, tied him up, and the raped his girlfriend in front of him. He had no weapons in the house.

His story has been on my mind so much recently that I've been seriously entertaining the idea of getting a couple pistols, one for myself, and one for my wife in the event I'm not around. The problem is that the pistol market is so vast that I'm not sure where to start. It seems like Kimber is the Rolls-Royce of the pistol market, but I'm not sure I NEED that level simply for self defense purposes.

Anybody experienced in this field have some advice or recommendations??

2. did your friend live in a bad neighborhood?

3. nitro

nitro

For your wife

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rK8m2Qdq7vg&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rK8m2Qdq7vg&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

For you

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eyOZN_44Xd4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eyOZN_44Xd4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

4. Lucrum

Lucrum

If your new to firearms seriously consider getting some instruction. Shooting yourself or someone else unintended kinda defeats the whole purpose.

If you're dead set on a handgun and you don't plan on using it with any regularity consider a revolver. They are somewhat less likely to jam and there is no magazine spring to weaken over time. Not to mention a gun novice trying to unjam a semi auto in "the heat of the moment" could again defeat the whole purpose.

You may also want to consider a short shotgun. While not as easy to wield indoors as a handgun you're less like to shoot yourself with it, the shot has less penetration than bullets reducing the risk of collateral damage and the sound of chambering a round alone may very well prevent you from having to spill some assholes blood and guts all over your expensive floor.

5. Baron

Baron ET Founder

He lives in Windermere, FL, the same suburb of Orlando that Tiger Woods and countless other celebrities live in. So no, it isn't a bad neighborhood by any means, which is why his story was so disturbing.

6. Lucrum

Lucrum

Why, is getting raped in a bad neighborhood somehow different from getting raped in a good one?

7. HD Security cameras, at least 1 wide angel(aim driveway and door) and 1 close-up at entry door (total 2 cameras at door). need more cameras at corners and back door. and put all these cameras on UPS.

1 long gun and 1 sidearm inside house.

8. nitro

nitro

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2CeIZiLuBJ4?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2CeIZiLuBJ4?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

9. Good advice.

The basic rule for a novice is to get something you can operate when you are so scared you are literally shaking. Probably rules out the Kimber, as it is a 1911-style pistol which requires you either to manipulate a thumb safety or chamber a round, either of which you might forget or screw up.

There are many revolvers on the market, ranging from something cheap like the Charter Arms Bulldog to the top of the line Smith & wessons. Ideally you want .357 mag or bigger, but make sure your wife can handle it. The go-to semi-auto for novices and pros alike for years has been the Glock. It doesn't have a safety. The trigger has a secondary trigger that has to be activated to fire, so the chances of a Plaxico Burress incident are minimized. They have a wide variety of calibers and sizes. I'd recommend the Glock 21 for home defense. http://www.glock.com/english/glock21.htm

Home defense is not just buying a gun and keeping it in the bedside table. Ideally, you have security doors that cannot be easily kicked in, windows that cannot be just broken and opened and no sliding glass doors, the achilles heel of florida houses. To be prepared, you need several guns placed strategically around the house, eg one in the kitchen, one in the TV room and one in the BR. If someone comes through the door, you will have little to no warning, so having a gun within reach could be essential. Of course, if you have children, this becomes a big problem.

Most weapons trainers will tell you that a handgun is to be used only until you can properly arm yourself, ie with a rifle or shotgun. Without getting too technical, there are some concerns about the stopping power of the 5.56 round used in the M4 and other AR platforms. It won't even penetrate drywall, which is a good thing if you are worried about shooting someone in the next room by accident, but not a good thing if your intruder has body armor on. The best round, 7.62 NATO, is overkill in a residential neighborhood, so the alternative is a shotgun, firing either slugs or 00 buck. The good thing about them is they are cheap, easy to operate and devastatingly effective. You want either a short double barrel, like the Stoger double defense, http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_double_defense.php , a pump gun like the Remington 870 tactical, http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-express-tactical.aspx , or an auto loader like the benelli M2 tactical, http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m2_tactical.php .

Not everyone is prepared to shoot to kill. If you or your wife aren't, you're probably better off with good locks and a safe room. Displaying a gun and being slow to use it is a good way to get yourself killed. Also, make very sure you understand your jurisdiction's rules on when you are legally justified to use deadly force. Hint: you probably are not allowed to use it against someone stealing your car or against a fleeing home intruder.

10. LEAPup

LEAPup

Ok, here are the steps:

(1) Go to a gun store that has a large selection of handguns and see if the following FIT you and your Wife's hands, you can both work the actions (the slide or clyinder of a revolver) to make sure you are comfortable with them, etc., You MUST be comfortable with your handgun first before you will have the confidence to use it. (Correctly)

Glock 17- 17 round 9mm
    Glock 22- 15 round .40 cal)
    Glock 26- compact 9mm that will also take the full size mags.
    Glock 27- compact .40 cal that will also take the full size magazines.

Kimber 1911 .45 auto THIS is the cadiallac of an out of the box tactical .45 that is being used by SEALS, USMC, Delta Force, etc., It is reliable, accurate, and damn deadly if you make your shots count.

ANY Sig Sauer pistol These are what police departments carry if they don't carry a Glock.

Smith & Wesson airweight .38 Special. They even have a .357 magnum in an airweight, but don't do it. It has way too much recoil.

(2) Take a concealed weapons carry course. The instructor, usually is an off duty cop, and must be an NRA firearms instructor, will go over safety, as well as tactical uses indoors such as your home. Then you'll go to the range, and fire about 50-60 rounds.

(3) Buy a crimson trace or comparable lazer. If you are SERIOUS about hitting your target in the areas that will stop an attack, you NEED a lazer on your firearm for in home use.

(4) Clear your weapons making sure they are absolutely unloaded, and practice going through your home at night with the weapon at the "tactical ready" as you traverse corners, clear rooms, etc., Have your spouse (and visa versa) put a piece of cardboard, or something you can identify as "a bad guy" who shouldn't be there then you practice getting that lazer on target fast, squeezing the trigger smoothly, and dry firing several taps. The key is to keep the lazer constant as you squeeze the trigger. In live fire, the weapon will be recoiling, so taking your lazer to the range is a must, and will REALLY bring up your confidence in stopping an attack quickly.

(5) Go to the range every six months minimum if you want to keep your sight alignment, and trigger control skills sharp. You'll want to shoot at least 150-200 rounds in the neeling position, prone, standing, traversing an obstacle such as a wall, AND also shoot with your weak hand. i.e, if the bad guy were to immobalize your dominant hand, you need to know how to use that weapon with the other hand. Not many people do the strong hand/weak hand training, but your concealed weapons instructor will have you do it with 12-15 rounds. You need to practice with more ammo than that with left and right hand to be confident in your new skills.

After 1-5, you are confident, proficient, have a permit to carry your firearm in your State in a holster under your coat, and are at peace knowing you can protect your life and limb. I'm very sorry to hear about your Friend and his Wife. Whether or not a handgun in the home would have prevented the attack depends on the circumstances. However, if 1-5 above had been adhered to, and one of them had a weapon in hand withing a few seconds of the home being breeched, I can GUARANTEE you that the odds would have been changed consideraby.

#10     Jul 19, 2011