Advice needed about top traders!

Discussion in 'Trading' started by UK2004, Feb 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trader99

trader99

rtharp:

I do believe it's possible to beat the market else I wouldn't be trader. We are not disagreeing on this part.

But, what I'm saying is ON AVERAGE it's difficult to beat the market. Otherwise, why would 80% of money managers can't beat the S&p500? And 90% of daytraders lose money?

Maybe, like you said, they make it more complicated than it is.

On the surface everything looks so easy. Just follow this rule and that rule. But underneeath it's more subtle.. And then when you are enlightened about the true nature of markets(not there yet :() then it will appear simple again ...

trader99

#51     Feb 27, 2002
  2. trader99

trader99

rtharp wrote:
    "If we are in a bull market you want to buy all of the stocks that are going to outperform the indexes. "

How do you know that AHEAD of time? In the beginning of the year, how do you really know which stocks will outperform the index? I understand abotu yoru 52week high, and money flow theory. William O'Neill supports that.

But it's still a guess.. Yeah, that's what trading is about. probability of success and cutting your losses. kinda like statistical gambling...

trader99

#52     Feb 27, 2002
  3. please tell us if the next 6 months will be a bull market or bear market so we know which strategy to apply:D

#53     Feb 27, 2002
  4. e_shadoe

e_shadoe

the futures are up.

that's the problem with you guys. you want to know where the markets are going in the next few months. forget about it (in italian). you want to know where the markets are going in the next 3 minutes. that's how you make money.

of course for Nic, it could be entirely different, he just has to ...

Get on his moped (like Bud Fox) and follow the big cheese to see what company he's gonna take over.
    "Where is that plane going?" "I believe it's going to Anaconda Steel ... for Sir Bluecheese is going to take over a company and pay a hefty premium for it". "Thanks" says nic. Nic: "I bet that mechanic doesn't even know the value of what he just told me? After all he's just a stupid mechanic. Let's go and buy those 100 shares of Anaconda. Ticker ANAC. Haha. Man, I'm a genius." As nic gives himself a high 5.

After Nic leaves, Mechanic says to himself, "did I say Anaconda Steel? I meant to say Riverdale Steel. Anaconda steel is the one that is gonna announce it is being pursued by the SEC? Oh well"

To follow .... the episode of Nic the Trader (alias Bud Fox)

#54     Feb 28, 2002
  5. It seems that we are drifting way past trading and into "Return on Investment" theories (outperform the market). This is simply a game that is played by individuals with varying degrees of proficiency, and the the better make money, the others don't.

When we trade with, say, $25,000 in an account, and make $5,000 per week...are we getting a 20% ROI, no way. Traders are compensated by not "beating the market" but by beating other players in the Wall Street Poker Game.

Know the players, know how the game is actually played (most don't), and play as many hands as you can when you have an edge.

Once again I will repeat myself "Trading is as simple as you'll let it be, or as difficult as you want to make it"...

Go get em'

#55     Feb 28, 2002
  6. The beauty of daytrading firms= 10x leverage magnifying your percentage returns 10 fold.

#56     Feb 28, 2002

7. Well we can just look at the cycles of how markets move. Usually we have 7 years of a bull market followed by a bear market that is short and severe, than a few years of going sideways, than a bull, than a bear..........

so try to figure out where we are.

(Hint bull markets will have the indexes above their 200 dma and also usually making new highs)

Don Hey I'm a professional too and do huge returns but I do put in a lot of my money right back into the market in longer term positions. Trading is trading short term or long term.

It's just the short term is so much more fun :)

Robert

#57     Feb 28, 2002
  8. UK2004

UK2004

Funny! You stick at your daytrading and I will get into a bank trading fx then in three years time when I am making real money you will be sitting there wandering what went on when you are earning $200,000 or maybe even less. Oh well you win some, you lose some.

#58     Feb 28, 2002
  9. e_shadoe

e_shadoe

Life seems so simple for u. u seem to think that by WANTING a big job, someone will just give it to u. If it was only that easy. Right.

How much money do you currently make. I thought so. not much. Well Bud Fox, I'm already well off in the 7 digits so even in a few years you'll still be running behind me. I am not trying to put you down, but come back to earth. Stop being in delusion. It's the first thing you have to do. That's life.

#59     Feb 28, 2002
  10. UK2004

UK2004

Hahahahahaha! & figures daytrader very funny good joke! You wish, you will have to keep on wishing however, you will never see that kind of money. I am at college now so how would I be earning money?

#60     Feb 28, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.