*Advice* I want to go live.

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Kastro_316, Apr 25, 2004.

1. nkhoi

nkhoi

buy a good simulator software and keep on simulating until you accumulate some serious dough

#11     Apr 25, 2004
  2. I hear ya guys....lol

While at work today i thought how stupid it was, and after calculating some trades, its near impossible to make money...SOrry for the dumb thread.

Thanx guys :)

#12     Apr 26, 2004
  3. BSAM

BSAM

Not a dumb thread. No need to apologize. I'm glad we helped you make a good decision. Perhaps no one on ET is any more intelligent than you. Some just enjoy making themselves appear to be so, because they have more market experience than others. You stick around, raise some real capital, study a lot and one day everything will be much more clear!

#13     Apr 26, 2004
  4. traderob

traderob

Join xodds.com a spread betting company. You can take $5 trades and have some feel for what it will be like when you trade with a real stake.

#14     Apr 26, 2004
  5. Use that $500 towards a purchase of Wealth Lab
    and spend the next 2 years developing and evaluating
    trading systems you will use AFTER you graduate and
    have some REAL trading capital saved up.

peace

axeman

#15     Apr 26, 2004
  6. BSAM, thanx bud.

Thanx again for helping me guys!

#16     Apr 26, 2004
  7. I am in a very similar situation. I am at university so dont have much spare money. I opened an account with oanda and put $300 in it. OK so I'm not exactly gonna make a fortune with such a small amount. But at least I am learning emotionally, to trade real money rather than just with the demo account.

I live in the UK, so I deposited the money using paypal in US dollars and then opened a sub-account with oanda to hold the money in British pounds. I guess you could do a similar thing in canada. Don't let these people put you down. $500 may be nothing to the people who trade for a living, but even if you only make a few pounds (or dollars), its better than nothing (which is what you would have with demo accounts).

#17     Apr 26, 2004
  8. i am going to be 21, college student, i have a few Ks to trade. the money i have here is my learning money(tuition perhaps) i do not want to pay the tuition to the market, but i have done that so far. i am still learning, & experimenting as time goes on.

35% of $$$ is from my parents, i foot the rest of the bill. i pay my parents interest yearly. if i lose, i cannot lose the portion that they contributed.

i try to spend as little money as possible, my grocery money for a quarter(10week) + eating out is less than 300. plus my school work keep my busy most of the time. no girlfriend(thank god), not dating very often.(doesnt cost money to hookup at parties) no one else to spend my money.

i like to use my credit cards and i pay them back ontime, everytime. i have 0 credit card debt.

i always have left over, that's how i build up my trading capital. for the last 2-3 years.
    summer job here & there. i cannot handle a part time job w/engineering classes at the same time, i want to keep my grades up as high as i can.

if you going to committ any amount of money, you have to be able to afford to loose it.

#18     Apr 26, 2004
  9. If you really want to trade with $500 then open a account with OANDA. You can structure your trade size so that 1 pip is woth as little as $0.01. One-hundred pips = $1.00. Plus with trading that small you can learn money/risk management that you would not be able to with only $500 elsewhere.

I too demoed and simulate for almost a year before going live. From my experience alone, others may of had a different experience, the only thing a demo account really did was familiarize me with the mechanics of the brokers software. I didn't really start learning until I was trading with real money and was down 40% in the first three months.

As far as being in school and trading. Go for it, just don't let trading cause you to flunk out cause then you are really screwed.

#19     Apr 26, 2004
  10. agree.

you have not learn anything yet, until you start playing with real money. that's when the e-motion kick in and be ready to have your a$$ handed to you.

this is apart of the learning process for most ppl i've known. its appearent in a form of "gambling" factor, a person's addiction to this emotion of being at risk. an adrenaline rush.

school is more important than anything else, at least to me.

#20     Apr 26, 2004