Advice for programming beginner: Matlab

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by zeeuk, Jul 17, 2011.

1. I think MATLAB is easier than dealing with Excel's VBA. And obviously, much easier than dealing with C++ or Java (but less powerful).
    If you don't want to spend the money on MATLAB yet, start with Octave. Anything you learn and write with that can be transferred if you then switch to MATLAB (which you would do if you are interested in making GUIs, elaborate graphs, or other more advanced stuff).
    In my opinion, forget buying any books. Find a couple online tutorials, pick up the basics, try your own program and google search to learn any functions you need for it. Also check out the MATLAB user community on their website to learn from others. A good rule to try to keep your programming efficient for MATLAB is, always try to think of a way to do what you want without writing 'for' or 'while' loops, often it is possible.

#11     Jul 18, 2011
  2. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned SCILAB, the open source equivalent to MATLAB. It can even run .M files.

#12     Jul 19, 2011
  3. LeeD

LeeD

I think posters mentioned Octave and not SciLab because Octave is much closer in syntax to Matlab. Read more here.

#13     Jul 19, 2011