Advice for noob on asset management

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by john barley, Feb 21, 2012.

1. How to protect my assets from inflation?

I looked at the the fund offered by my bank and the load is 5%, management fees range from 1-1.75%.

I looked at blackrock annual returns for their bonds and stocks funds on offer during the past 5 years and assumed an inflation rate of 3% per year.

Using 100k initial investment amount I calculated how much value I'd have after 5 years.

Money in mattress: 85873

Money in fund with 5% load, 1.5% management fee, 25% cap gains on nominal returns :86280

Money in fund with no load, 1.5% management fee, 25% cap gains on nominal returns :89506

Money in 1 year CD acts, rolled over, returning 1.5% and 25% cap gains on nominal returns: 90578

Money in fund with no fees (is this possible?) and 25% cap gains on nominal returns: 9447

Is my math off? Is the past 5 years an unreasonable sample? Do people only invest in funds cause there's nothing else to do with their money? Anyway I look at it I'm losing money on my "investment." At best I lose 6% of my assets after 5 years.

2. Now imagine inflation higher than 3%

3. Buy ammo, whiskey, silver, gold, corn,oil,wheat,soy,cattle,hogs, , Shit buy some class 5 rock while your at it. Welcome to Minnesota son.