Advice for New Automated Trader

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by ksmetana, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Hi, I am learning C++ since it is the fastest and most common language used in algorithmic trading.

Does anyone have a good resource in learning to code specifically for trading?

A lot of the tutorials I'm reading teach basic coding, but I am unsure how to tie it all into trading. How to retrieve data... send commands.

I get the basic premise.

Create logic, and when the environment meets your parameters, you send a command.

Are there books or anything that specifically teach to write trading code? How to use different APIs, etc?

Also, does anyone have a program written, maybe an unprofitable one or outdated one that they will let me look at, so I get an idea of how the structure should look exactly?

Thanks

2. If you have no previous programming experience,you will have virtually no chance of learning C++ from scratch. Just to hard. Start with something a bit easier.

3. Bowgett

Bowgett

+1 Listen to what Runningbear just said

4. what is a good language to learn that can be used for trading apps?

5. promagma

promagma

Java is easier.

6. Python is even easier.

7. j2ee

j2ee

Learning C++ by yourself is still possible, but building a trade system is a hard project within all possible C++ tasks.

8. jcl

jcl

C++ is needed for a trading platform, but not necessarily for a trading strategy script. Simple C will do for that, and is easy to learn. There are several tutorials for C based trading strategies.

9. I think most platforms with an API will have samples programs that you can use to get started. Maybe take a look at this:

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/p.php?f=programInterface

10. Mr_You

Mr_You

Download and install NinjaTrader (its free) and play with the code produced by the Strategy Wizard.

If you can't get beyond using the wizard then coding isn't for you.

#10     Aug 30, 2012