Advice for best traveler's laptop requested

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Optionpro007, Feb 20, 2006.

1. #21     Feb 24, 2006
  2. Why muck about with third party stuff if microsh$t has one that is better than the lot?

(by the way Toshiba used to have one by default)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx and look for "virtual desktop manager". Has 4 screens and you can also see them all at the same time too (if selected) Also uses function keys or a select combination of keys. Cute!

Enjoy!

Maria

#22     Feb 24, 2006
  3. i have a dell 600m w/SXGA+ screen 1400x1050. i am very happy with it because of its large resolution. the text is not too small.

however, it is an older model... dell still sell it... very interesting.

im using it to type this message right now

i've been recommending people to get the dell inspiron 6000 since it came out

get the WSXGA+ UltraSharpTM (1680 x 1050). its a $80-100 upgrade. i would pay up for it. text/image should look exactly like my screen, but it is a 15.4 wide screen

dell's laptop repair service is excellent. turn around time for repair is within a week. (not sure about their tech support). i delt with them over email, and did not even have to call them to get my laptop repaired.

i sent my laptop to dell on a friday, and it showed up 4 days later, on the tuesday. my laptop was under warranty, and they foot the bill for 2 day shipping both ways.

#23     Feb 24, 2006
  4. mfhboy

mfhboy

I downloaded the program and nothing happened, I can just find a file "Virtual Desktop Manager Powertoy for Windows XP.msi" under my C:/Windows/Downloaded Installations".

How to run this sotware? Thanks

#24     Feb 24, 2006
  5. assuming that you have downloaded and installed it (start menu => run => "your download location"\DeskmanPowertoySetup.exe)

to activate it (it will stay activated until you de-activate it, even when rebooting, just like setting other background images etc):

right click on the taskbar, select toolbars, tick desktop manager

Enjoy

Maria

#25     Feb 25, 2006
  6. you can either click on the the blue 1, 2, 3 , 4 icons on the taskbar (previous picture), use some shortcut keys (rt click on the green icon immediately to the left of the four blue icons and use "Configure shortcut keys" or left click on the green button and select the screen you want by clicking on it.

See attached (that is what is displayed on a single 1400 x 1050 screen)

Maria

PS you can give each screen a different background if you want

#26     Feb 25, 2006
  7. mfhboy

mfhboy

Thanks for the tips! I have done, This program is very helpful with the "share Desltop" option disabled.

#27     Feb 25, 2006
  8. Sorry for my delay. Had been traveling. :)

Just wanted to thank you all of you for your time and consideration.

I am unfortunately still undecided. But it seems Dell will be the way to go. If nothing else for their service.

Still will have to check how 4 charts look on a 17' x-wide screen.

Thanks !!

#28     Mar 2, 2006
  9. nitro

nitro

I really like the new Macbook Pro and I am really itching to get one:

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

If you need MS Windows, the new Microsoft Vista Operating system coming out later this year will likely also install on these!

nitro

#29     Mar 3, 2006
  10. hmmm if XP was anything to go by and looking at the present feedback then I suspect we may see even more windows rot.

:(

#30     Mar 3, 2006