Advice for best traveler's laptop requested

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Optionpro007, Feb 20, 2006.

1. These are way kool ..... Which one do you use ?

#11     Feb 21, 2006
  2. Have many here, use them for suitcase too (the 1600). The Toshiba's fitted into the 1500, the IBM A31 was a tad too wide (deep) and we got the 1520.

Have also got a 1200 for homeopathic medicines (which don't like other odors like camphor very much: it antidotes them)

Maria

edit:

when travelling to poor countries they can easily put a knife through a soft sided suitcase. And stuff walks too. So I have a 3 mm thick stainless steel wire of 2 mtr with an eyelet at each end and I padlock them together and to some fixture. Not easily removed.... :D Got it from a rigging outfit for yachts. Added benefit is that most do not realise that there is a computer in the smaller one...

#12     Feb 21, 2006
  3. JayS

JayS

I bought my wife one of the new 17" Dell laptops with the ultrasharp display. Its pretty sweet, I upgraded almost everything and it came to aound $2,400 but once I stacked coupons and discounts we go it for just over $1,400. We've had it since Dec and so far are very happy with it.

#13     Feb 21, 2006
  4. robust 1400 x 1050 toshiba

#14     Feb 22, 2006
  5. or a duo core wide screen 1280 x 800 toshiba ?
    (don't like the 1680 x 1050 screen as mentioned before)

Hmmmm

#15     Feb 22, 2006
  6. omniscient

omniscient Guest

#16     Feb 22, 2006
  7. I have been travelling and trading using only a laptop for the past 3 years so will throw in my 2c.

laptop weight is important as airlines are getting really tough on cabin baggage weights.

I take two laptops, a 1600x1200 p4 and a 1024x768 p3 "mini" as my backup.
    I hate using the smaller screen as I cannot fit my charts, tws and dom on the screen properly. So my advice would be to get the best screen resloution possible - that's what you are gonna be looking at all night/day long!
    I am also using virtual screens to free up some screen real estate - but have difficulty getting around the "out of sight - out of mind" feeling with what is on the other desktops. In my case my stock charts and their trading platform.
    If you are staying at hotels net access is easy. If not it may be hard work sometimes to get reliable access - i use anything from a cell phone (gprs) to wifi/adsl.
    I also use some other programs to help with screen clutter.
    I have lately (when I have been staying somewhere for any more than a few months) been buying an external crt monitor and when I leave donating it to a local school (the cost of the monitor is peanuts).
    Hope that helps
    Last

#17     Feb 22, 2006
  8. "I am also using virtual screens to free up some screen real estate "

What do you mean by virtual screens?

#18     Feb 22, 2006
  9. You should consider the new Lenovo T60.

#19     Feb 22, 2006
  10. #20     Feb 22, 2006