Advice for a Beginner Programmer

Discussion in 'App Development' started by zbojnik, Sep 10, 2012.

1. zbojnik

zbojnik

Hello!:) I want to learn how to program so I can analyze market data. I want to do things such as finding the average daily volume of an instrument for the past _x_ days. What languages do I need to learn to accomplish this? Can it be done in Microsoft Excel? For data source I would try to use either Google or SterlingTrader...

2. Bob111

Bob111

3. vicirek

vicirek

If you want to learn to program than you need relativly simple and versatile programming language. Currently MS C# is getting more popular and if you learn it than C++ and Java are are very similar. C# has good literature and help and it is free (express edition).

If you want to do simple things than VBA/Excel are sufficient but it has limits and migrating to another coding language is more difficult.

Simpler than C# is Visual Basic and both are similar especialy behind the scenes.

And do not forget Maryna.

4. 2rosy

2rosy

5. zbojnik

zbojnik

Thanks to everyone! I appreciate it.:)

6. No one really ever find anything profitable by analyzing data (meaning open / high / low / close) data.

7. Bob111

Bob111

really? i can show you a tens(if not hundreds) of profitable setups at open price (only if they allow us to get into a trade at those prices)

how about open away from couple flat days? common...if you can't find it-it doesn't mean that it's impossible..

8. It can be done in Excel but I prefer R by a long shot.

See http://blog.fosstrading.com/ for many examples.

9. zbojnik

zbojnik

10. zbojnik

zbojnik