Adventures in Automation

Discussion in 'Journals' started by fan27, Jan 21, 2019.

1. traider

traider

Did you check the correlation of your 70 strategies? You might be surprised by the results.

#41     Jan 25, 2019
  2. fan27

fan27

Groups of them are highly correlated as expected. That is why I have a risk control component which limits the amount of concurrent positions across strategy groups.

#42     Jan 25, 2019
    tommcginnis likes this.
  3. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I would offer, "No."

Why? If you think of a trend/periodicity approach, and gaze at the major indices (EOD) and put up a straw man of "10-day cycles" -- well, that 10-day observation does not give you simultaneous Entry and Exit signals, right? It suggests a 10-day run, of which you might harvest 6 days' worth. But the signal to Exit does not a *new* entry on the other side -- only that (according to your chosen exit criteria), it is not safe to continue in that position.

If the 10-day window does not flip from Enter-Exit-Enter so well? Meh! Does the Exit signal perhaps work as an Entry signal for a shorter trade? Perhaps a short-term opposing position in an inverse ETF? Or even a 1-or-2 day trade in a 2x or 3x ETF? (Let alone, the options universe...)

Thus, focusing exclusively on ES;NQ;YM seems (to me) to be a constraint to be avoided. (That's my vote. Are we voting? Eeeesh.)

#43     Jan 25, 2019
    fan27 likes this.
  4. fan27

fan27

Trade is looking really good here. I suspect we are going to break the recent high on 1/18 and make a run for the 200 day SMA.

#44     Jan 25, 2019
    pinetboltz likes this.
  5. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

great work @fan27, what broker are you using?

#45     Jan 25, 2019
    fan27 likes this.
  6. fan27

fan27

IB

#46     Jan 25, 2019
    pinetboltz likes this.
  7. pinetboltz

pinetboltz

good stuff, maybe you could offer it on a subscription-based SaaS model to the retail crowd like Sierra Charts, i think it's literally run by one guy

just put up a website and price it for like $20/mth or something, i think you'd get a lot of sign-ups, bc there's prob a lot of demand for ppl who don't know enough to program to connect to IB's API, but want the convenience of algo trading

#47     Jan 25, 2019
  8. fan27

fan27

What I built is a research application that integrates with existing ATS applications (AlgoTerminal, Sierra Charts, etc). My code does not live trade and I have no interest in a web based Saas model. That would be a huge undertaking that I am not interested in.

#48     Jan 25, 2019
  9. yc47ib

yc47ib

Best of luck!

#49     Jan 26, 2019
    fan27 likes this.
  10. This is beautiful work. You're a very talented programmer and trader. I wouldn't be surprised if you get job offers from this.

Have you ever looked at Adaptrade Builder? http://www.adaptrade.com/Builder/

There are some similarities in finding profitable strategies but not the trade automation, AFAIK.

Brooks

#50     Jan 27, 2019
    fullautotrading and fan27 like this.