Addition to current CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LOgg, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Do you really want to rotate the monitor 90 degree at will? Or just want to have a monitor that can go "vertical"?

Because with the VESA mount (4 screws) you can mount any monitor vertically.

#11     Aug 15, 2010
  2. LOgg

LOgg

I'd rather not have to deal with screws & mounts if I dont have to.

#12     Aug 16, 2010
  3. LOgg

LOgg

This was the suggestion from a sales teck rep. This was cheaper than I expected coming from a sales rep. $200 CAD before taxes for one mobo and 2 vid cards:

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo ATX LGA775 DDR2 P45 2XPCI-E16 CrossFireX 3XPCI-E1 2XPCI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37207

MSI GeForce 210 589MHZ 512MB 800MHZ GDDR2 PCI-E VGA DVI HDMI HDCP
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=49482&vpn=N210-MD512H&manufacture=MSI/MicroStar&promoid=1008

Currently I have two monitors on DVI. If I go this route I'll have 4 on DVI and 2 on VGA. But I don't think I'll see a noticeable difference between the two on just 2d charts. Hopefully my power supply is good enough because the rep mentioned it a few times.

#13     Aug 16, 2010

4. I hope this is what you want. Because it has only 2 PCIe x16 slots. Mixing PCIe x16 and PCI video cards has its challenges at times, depending on the video card makes.

= = = = = = = = = = =
    Expansion Slots
    PCI Express 2.0 x16 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots, support ATI CrossFireX technology at x8 link
    (black at max. x8 link)
    PCI Express x1 3
    PCI Slots 2
    = = = = = = = = = = =

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131299

And it has DDR2 memory slots not DDR3 (slower).

The heatsink looks kind of bulky. I don't think you can put 2 of these side by side next to each other. The MoBo you cited... the 2 PCIe x16 slots are apart. Which seems okay. But what would the third card be (PCI? PCIe x1?) if you want to go 6 mons? Just something to consider.

#14     Aug 16, 2010
  5. LOgg

LOgg

The 'third' card is the one you see in my first post which i currently have. the gforce 9800 running dual dvi.

#15     Aug 16, 2010
  6. LOgg

LOgg

Major update:

This is what the senior NCIX sales/teck guy said:
    __
    Unfortunately, it is not many motherboard with LGA775 support SLI out there ASUS P5N-D 750I is the board you can go for it However, this board only support 2 SLI and 3 video cards.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27901&vpn=P5N-D&manufacture=ASUS

If you are looking for 3 way SLI set up you probably need to change new CPU, MoBO and Ram.
    --

Let me know what you guys think...

#16     Aug 25, 2010
  7. Pardon me... may be I am ignorant of the technology.

Why are you concerned about SLI? You are using your computer and video cards for trading (mostly 2D charts) primarily, right? Or are you building a machine for 3D video games?

#17     Aug 25, 2010
  8. LOgg

LOgg

From my understanding you NEED SLI mobos to run video cards (i think only nvda or normally nvda) that have two or more output regardless of its use.
    example: if you have a nil sli mobo and you have a video card that has two out puts, therefor 2 max monitor use, you can only use one monitor (if its compatible)

Here is my 2 most cost efficient options.
    1) upgrade the mobo to the one above, keep my current vid card and get another dual nvda card. and get two monitors for a max of 4 (but get 2 24"+ to compensate for lack of max monitors)
    2) upgrade mobo, i think a crossfire, to get 2 cost efficient amd5000 series (which have 3 outputs, 2x3 = 6 screens) and possibly need to upgrade ram/power supply?

Obviously option 2 would leave me with my current vid card useless for a while, sitting around and such. and this route will be twice as expensive as option 1, however, will be half as expensive to get a bran new system all together.

Hard decisions here :)

#18     Aug 25, 2010
  9. 100% incorrect. The only time SLI is needed is when you want to bridge 2 or more video cards to power ONE monitor.

What you need is a mobo which will run socket 775 CPU, that will run the speed/timings of your RAM, with 2 or more PCIEx16 slots and no onboard video chip. Forget SLI/Crossife....If your new mobo has SLI, that's fine but you won't be using it. If it doesn't have SLI, that's OK because you don't need it.

#19     Aug 25, 2010
  10. I agree with Scataphagos. I don't know a whole lot about SLI but it didn't sound right.

From what I read SLI was for parallel processing to combine your multiple video cards together and use them as "one". Good for 3D performance for games and stuff.

For your trading, charting use, you should be able to use your NVidia cards to drive multiple monitors without SLI.

#20     Aug 25, 2010