Addition to current CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LOgg, Aug 11, 2010.

1. LOgg

LOgg

Hello!

Just looking to do a simple addition to my current CPU:

Current system (Built at NCIX.COM in Jan 2009):
    intel core 2 duo E7400 dual core processor 2.8GHZ 3MB
    GBLAN motherboard
    winxp
    ONE XFX GF 9800GT 600MHZ 512MB ... running two BENQ 2200HG 21.5inch 1920x1080

Want to add

+2 screens:
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=L2245W-PB-R&cat=MON
    22" HP L2245w DVI Blu-ray 720p Rotating Widescreen LCD Monito
    I dont mind buying these 2 refurbs off the bat, unless someone can find a better price on a swivel. I was looking at quad monitor stands, found one for $99, but with a swivel I can have 3 visible charts without wasted white space vs 2 charts + white space.

+1vid card:
    ? :too many choices. would like to stick with ncix with a 50-100 price point & should be dual dvi.
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?minorcatid=108&po=0&ps=2
    it's really hard for me to pick as I am an average CPU user, however, I am learning at least.

Obviously the +2 screen is more charting space.

Also I may be under estimating my CPU - Could I go two more graphics cards with 4 more monitors? It's hard for me to measure CPU power/performance without actually having that +4 screens running with charts.

I also want to mention that my current vid card, showing on the monitor) is experiencing intermittent ghost-pixel like symptoms. The "waves" come in vertical patterns and are blue. If i move a folder or web page or these waves then they turn yellow. Most people say it is the vid card since this happens on both monitors... Have a lifetime warranty with nvda so I guess this could get upgraded.

This is a lot of info but I'd rather give too much than too little. Thank you in advance for your input and I look forward discussing this with you guys!

-LO

2. 1. Yes swap out the video card to see if that's the culprit.

2. Need more info about your mobo. Which peripheral slots and how many. Does it have "onboard" or "integrated" video chip?

3. LOgg

LOgg

4. LOgg

LOgg

"2. Need more info about your mobo. Which peripheral slots and how many. Does it have "onboard" or "integrated" video chip?"

Forget the current motherboard it only has one slot for a vid card so I need to get one that has 2 or 3 slots. Now enters a new question:

Do I buy a mobo with 2 slots and 2 vid card with 3pci OR
    Buy a mobo with 3 slots and 2 vid cards with 2pci

Really wonder what the best solution is without running this machine to the ground. remember the extra monitors will only run charts.

I am hoping with the right conjunctions I may be able to run this cpu with 6 monitors for at least 11 hours a day.

5. Your CPU will run 6 monitors just fine. The problem is finding a mobo that CPU will run on that has the slots for video cards that you want....

You have an LGA 775 CPU.. which will run on lots of budget mobos (not the right slots for your video cards) and on X38 mobos. Most of them have only 2 PCIEx16 slots... so be sure to get a mobo that also has at least 1 or 2, PCIEx4 or PCIEx8 slots + however many PCI slots you need for other devices.

Also, you probably have DDR2 RAM... some X38s take DDR3.... some take either. You'll want a mobo which runs the same RAM you have and at the same speed... DDR2-667, DDR2-800, or whatever.

Easiest thing would probably be just to buy a new computer with a proper mobo to run 6 monitors. Or, divide the load and run 2 computers in your trading... 2 monitors on your present rig and 4 monitors on a new one.

6. LOgg

LOgg

There will be a time where i'll get a new i5 comp but that's not now. to do an upgrade will cost 1/3 less inc the monitors vs the new cpu + monitors. might as well go the cheaper route until i NEED more than 6 screen. What do u think of the 3way vid card that I posted?

7. That link is to a mobo, not a video card. Is that what you meant? If so, looks like that mobo would work and should support 6 monitors OK.

8. LOgg

LOgg

Yeah sorry that's what I meant :)

9. I think your CPU chip Intel E7400 Core2 Duo, which has a Passmark score of 1906, can handle 6 monitors just fine. I used to have a box that has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ chip, Passmark score only 1319, and it drove 6 monitors for a few years with no problem.

But I think that the HP 22" monitor you cited may be too coarse for your liking.

Supported Resolutions:
    1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Your current monitors have 1920 x 1080 resolution. Especially you want to dedicate the 2 new monitors for charts... I think you will be disappointed with the 1680 x 1050 resolution. I suggest to find something that offer at least 1920 x 1080. May cost a little more. I think it's well worth it.

I use a few Samsung 21.5" 2243SWX monitors which has such a resolution (1920 x 1080) and they look great. Bought more than a year ago. They are selling 23" monitors now probably.

10. LOgg

LOgg

"I think your CPU chip Intel E7400 Core2 Duo, which has a Passmark score of 1906, can handle 6 monitors just fine. I used to have a box that has an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ chip, Passmark score only 1319, and it drove 6 monitors for a few years with no problem.

But I think that the HP 22" monitor you cited may be too coarse for your liking.

Supported Resolutions:
    1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Your current monitors have 1920 x 1080 resolution. Especially you want to dedicate the 2 new monitors for charts... I think you will be disappointed with the 1680 x 1050 resolution. I suggest to find something that offer at least 1920 x 1080. May cost a little more. I think it's well worth it.

I use a few Samsung 21.5" 2243SWX monitors which has such a resolution (1920 x 1080) and they look great. Bought more than a year ago. They are selling 23" monitors now probably."

Thanks for the reply,

What interested me about the hp monitor was the rotation capability. I think I may need to go into a store and physically see the difference between the two resolutions.

#10     Aug 15, 2010