Hey Traders, hope you are doing well. I was wondering what you think about adding to winning trades and if you do this in your own trading. We all know the adage,"add to winners, cut losers short" but how and when do you add to a winning position? Of course, a 'winning position' is only winning in hindsight. I trade the ES and I'm sure you know how tricky ES can be, you can see lots of signs of a winning trade like a shift in delta and a decisive pushback from buyers/sellers, that could be your trigger to get in the trade. In your head, you have an idea of the best case scenario targets for where this trade can likely go. Now this trade may go your way quite a bit, at which point you realize that given this new information of working more decisively in our favor, *this* trade is therefore more likely to be one of our better trades and therefore more likely to hit our further targets. Theoretically, you want to be your biggest size on your best trades, so you want to add to this. Here's an important point though, from the moment the market shows you something that convinces you to add, it can continue to work or it can still just reverse and crap on itself. But, you know you won't take a loss at this point because you have likely moved your stop up, so at the very least you know it is an 'OK' trade. At this point there are now two scenarios: The 'best trade' and the 'ok' trade. Now that you have added your extra lot, it will add to your 'best' trades, however it will also HANDICAP your 'OK' trades. Because you need to give that extra lot some wiggle room and you will lose money on that lot when stopped. What if for example, 70% of our winning trades are 'OK' trades, and only 30% of our winning trades are our 'best' trades? Would it truly make sense to handicap profits on 70% of our winning trades, in order to add to the other 30%? The only way to know this would be to analyze the R:R of that one lot that we added, as if it were its own individual trade (which is only profitable 30% of the time, in our hypothetical scenario). And keep in mind that the general strategy we are trading may only have a 40% win rate. As many of my trades are intraday, it would be difficult to find the true answer. This complicates things greatly, and the points I stated have me wondering if it is truly valid that you should "add to winners" as opposed to just gradually moving up in size on your entries as you build the account. For these reasons, I rarely have added to winning trades. I am experimenting with this now, but I am not yet sure if I believe in it. My intuitive thinking is that I'm lucky that I have any winning trades at all in this sea of complex scenarios that can work for or against me. Any random tweet from Trump or Draghi, Fauci, whoever, can move the market. Some fund manager is constipated today so he hits the sell button. You know, just chaos. So in my mind, starting from the moment I get a trading signal there is the most edge in that trade, and further in time from the signal, that edge decays exponentially as the domino effect that it predicts is exposed to more and more chaos which can disrupt it. So if you took the time to read all that, thanks. I'm guessing not many traders care enough to think about this that deeply, but it matters to me. They will probably believe I'm overthinking but I don't believe that to be the case because the differences in how we manage trades can have dramatic effects on our P/L curve. Just curious how you feel about this?