Adding RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Honda, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Wirehead

Wirehead

DelawareDan

Go to http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctspd.shtml
    about half way down the first page
    and download ctspd.zip

After you install it, open the program, disregard the first error that comes up, just type in the Make and Model number of your motherboard and it will do the rest. (Example: ASUS P3V4X). If you do not speak German don't worry about it the program is in english even though the site is in German. Hope this helps find your RAM problems. I know it did for me.

I second what railman said in his second paragraph about not all RAM is compatible with each other.

#31     Aug 16, 2001
  2. babe714

babe714

After installing additional ram does your computer automatically start using it or do you have to change some settings?

#32     Sep 8, 2001
  3. fast

fast

babe714.
    I have installed ram two times and both times my computer automatically starting using it when I rebooted.

The first time I was using Window95 and the second time I was using Windows2000.

However, it seems that I have seen board messages that indicate some computers have not automatically recognized new memory. Sorry, but I can't help you with that. Some other people at this site probably can help if you have a problem.

Another resource that has been great for me in the area of computer questions and problems is www.askme.com. There is a section for computer questions. You have to register to ask a question, but it is free. One of my favorite experts on computer hardware at that site is rinocanada. He is very knowledgable. You can direct a question specifically to him and/or post it on the general board.

Probably told you more than you wanted to know, but hope it helps.

#33     Sep 8, 2001
  4. babe714

babe714

After you installed the new ram and rebooted how did you know that your computer was using the additional ram installed . Can you tell by just right clicking on my computer and reading the amount of ram listed there on the general tab ?

#34     Sep 8, 2001
  5. fast

fast

babe714,
    Yes, that is how I tell on my computer with Windows2000. (I right click the My Computer icon on my desktop, then click properties, and then select the General tab if it is not on top. It states my ram in KB, which surprised me. I expected MB.)

With Windows95, I also could see the amount of ram if I watched all the info scrolling across my monitor screen during the bootup progess. My Windows2000 is set to skip the scrollling.

Hope this helps.

#35     Sep 8, 2001
  6. fast

fast

babe714,
    I forgot. There is another way you can check ram amount if you have Windows2000. Right click on the any empty space on the bar that has the Start button on it. On resulting popup, click on Task Manager. This will bring up another popup that states the amount of ram (Physical Memory), divided into Available and Total.

fast

#36     Sep 9, 2001
  7. babe714

babe714

Thanks a lot fast , time to go order some more ram from crucial .com

#37     Sep 9, 2001
  8. fast

fast

You didn't ask, but I got my latest ram from crucial.com. They are connected to Micron Technology and my ram has Micron stamped on it. So I feel very confident about the quality.

#38     Sep 9, 2001
  9. babe714

babe714

I installed the new ram from crucial and now I can't even boot up my computer . when i start the computer the monitor self test comes on with a bunch of green horizontal lines moving up and down then it turns blue and then goes blank. Any ideas???

#39     Sep 14, 2001
  10. Wirehead

Wirehead

It sounds as if your monitor is no longer connected to your computer. Check to make sure that the video cable is fully seated on the video connector on the video card. Also make sure that your video card and RAM are fully seated in their slots. If you removed anything else in order to put in the RAM make sure that you put everything back as it was. Hope this help a little.

#40     Sep 14, 2001