Adding RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Honda, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Grabbit

Grabbit

What are the better RAM brands?

#21     Aug 12, 2001
  2. Wirehead

Wirehead

Grabbit

You should have no problem. As long as it fits in the slot it should work. They are both 168 pin RAM. If you want to check into it further find out the make and model of your motherboard. Go the the manufacture's web site and look up the model number, and it will tell you what the specs are. Or after you find out the model number go to the Crucial.com site "fast" gave you, enter the Maker, and model number and Crucial will tell you what types of RAM will fit onto that motherboard.

Crucial is recognized as one of the best quality RAM today.

#22     Aug 12, 2001
  3. Grabbit

Grabbit

Thanks a lot Wirehead,

I'll check that out.

#23     Aug 13, 2001
  4. janko

janko

hey guys, well i just got my 512 megs today and i put it in and guess what, the system only read it as 128!! what gives? this is a 512 generic memory 64x4 16 chips 133mhz. now my mother borad has three slots, it says it will support up to 1.5 gig memory, and it has a 100mhz bus. whats the problem, did i get a bad memory>>>??? any help is appreciated guys. thnx

#24     Aug 15, 2001
  5. Wirehead

Wirehead

If you have Win98SE go Start, Run, and type in msconfig and hit enter. Once it opens you will have 5 or 6 tabs. In one of those tabs there is an adjustment for min or max RAM. Put in 512 and I believe the box has to be checked that is next to it. I no longer have Win98SE. I currently use Win2k. Sorry for not being more detailed. Maybe some one else can help. If you have ME or Win2k I do not know what to do. Hope this helps.

#25     Aug 15, 2001
  6. Wirehead,

What program is this? Where can I get it? I am having problems with my RAM and I believe this program could help me solve my problems.

Thanks

#26     Aug 15, 2001
  7. railman

railman

For all you ram heads out there, READ THIS!

First, the discussions about 133Mhz and 100Mhz ram (which can be used), most 133 ram can be used on motherboards that have a 100Mhz bus but the 133 ram will only be able to run at 100 Mhz since the bus speed is limited to that speed!

Second, the mixing of ram amounts is acceptable but I would caution that one should use same brand high quality ram when doing so. Reason, manufacturing processes differ somewhat between chip makers and compatability problems do become an issue.

Third, when installing additional ram you must tell your computers CMOS how much installed ram is present in order for the computer to use it and for windows to recognize it. msconfig which was mentioned here tells windows how much installed ram is on the machine but CMOS allows access to that ram. To change your ram settings in CMOS you need to reboot your computer and during initial start up you will see "*******" (usually Delete) to enter setup. Once you enter setup you can navigate through the menus to your ram settings and specify total installed ram. Then choose Save and Exit to continue to load the OS.

Also, msconfig.exe is a part of the windows operating system

Hope this helps! Railman

#27     Aug 16, 2001
  8. janko

janko

ok thnx guys for helping, i just got an email from my motherboard manufacturer and the problem is that it does not support High Density ram!!! i guess i dont know what teh difference is between high and regular density, this is one 512 module, so maybe thats it, it has too much memory on one module, but then i dont understand why in the world would the motherboard manual say it will take up to 512 megs when there is only three slots available, i mean it has to be 512 per slot. so i'm a little confused here, but i guess i'll need a new mother board. bummer!

#28     Aug 16, 2001
  9. railman

railman

janko,

What the tech guy is telling you is that your motherboard supports 512MB maximum. I would suspect that the maximum size ram chip your board supports is 256MB chips.

#29     Aug 16, 2001
  10. janko

janko

yeah that might be true but then the manual is lying because it says that the board will support 1.5 gig ram, well how is that possible, you cant get to 1.5 by adding 256 mb moduels, there are only three slots, so its got to be 512 per bay, but oh well, i'll just get another board, maybe a faster chip too. i just need to make sure i get a right one that supports 512 modules. any particular wording i should look for??? thnx guys. man this board rocks, its tech support its trading stuff, this thing rocks!!!

#30     Aug 16, 2001