Adding memory won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alanack, Apr 1, 2003.

1. alanack

alanack

I sold a PC133 256Mb card of memory and a PC133 128Mb on ebay, and the guy I sold it to is having problems. His cpu won't start up with the new memory installed. Any ideas? This happened to me once, and simply removing it and reinstalling it solved the problem. But is there a setting that has to be changed? Thanks.

Alan

2. nkhoi

nkhoi

sound like either bad or incompatible problem.

3. alanack

alanack

This memory worked great in my cpu, and it's going into another cpu very similar to mine(both IBM's), so it should be ok.

Alan

4. nkhoi

nkhoi

if he take that memory out and computer work again than it could be compatible probl.

5. alanack

alanack

Could there be a problem even if it uses PC133 type?

6. Make sure he is not running an older version/machine of Windows as the RAM is capped @ 256.......you said he bought a 256 & 128.....so this combo would not work. In fact a tell tale sign in older versions of Windows is that when you have too much RAM either the BIOS does not recognize it or the machine does not boot

7. If the mb beeps on power up but then stops he may need to set the bios to defaults then see if the memory is found. Just a thing to try.

8. alanack

alanack

But how could there be slots for the memory and it not accept it? Would each slot allow a maximum of 128 Mb? I have learned since it is an IBM Intellistation workstation. Thanks.

Alan

9. Some motherboards require the same memory when used in pairs, even same to the point of being from the same mfr. I have an ECS board that will not work with 2 identically-spec'd memory cards from different mfrs.

10. ......if you have 2 DIMMS and older Windows OS.....if 256 is your cap, than the max you could put in each slot is 128.......Find out which OS it is running....& find out what was the standard PC style that came with the machine from factory....is it PC-xxxx & is it DDR or SDR

#10     Apr 1, 2003