addiction

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by nukethewhales31, Jan 12, 2009.

1. So, I ask in all sincerity: can you define how trading is actually any riskier or more of a gamble than any other endeavor in life? [/B][/QUOTE]

No cash flow.

#31     Jan 17, 2009
  2. No, it is not. When you get into your car, you really have no idea if you are coming back home, you simply do all you can do improve the odds that you do. It is that way with every aspect of life. The black swan can appear at any time, anywhere. Just ask Lehman, who survived 1929, only to die this undignified death in the 21st century. Last year if I said Lehman and Bear were going to die, I would have been flamed off this board.

There is nothing in life but probabilities.

#32     Jan 17, 2009
  3. NY_HOOD

NY_HOOD

i trade,get a HUGE RUSH IN THE MORNING BEFORE THE BELL.
    if i have a losing day,i cannot wait for the next trading day so i can recoup my losses.
    if i have a bad week,i cannot wait for the friggin weekend to end so i can start trading again on monday.
    if i get a margin call,i immediately pay it so i am alloud to trade as soon as possible.
    i get bored listening and talking about subjects that don't revolve around stocks., thats called being focused and loving what you do right?????
    If i have a losing day i beat myself up and swear it was only due to LACK OF DISCIPLINE........had i only followed my rules,i would not have taken a loss. wait,trading is all about risk,too disciplined and no one makes money...wtf!
    wait,all this talk about compulsion,and interest in stocks is really me just being dedicated right; thats a good thing????

yeah, trading is not gambling !!!! what do you all think?

#33     Jan 17, 2009
  4. for real?seriously?what did u trade to accomplish this?what was your account balance when u started trading?

#34     Jan 17, 2009
  5. plain ole reg eur/usd
    i blew 2... 250 accounts.... then the third 250$ account just took off. note also that i got a good deal on the house ... i took advantage of the crisis w it haha were i live here SPACE COAST you can get a house for 25k i actually saw one listed for that down the street.

i remember the beginning the "rush" feeling you get maybe why i love it so much cause when you pull that trigger and you want to be a full time trader every tick is your future. blood rushes body gets tight adrenaline runs cant see straight

i read an article were they kept scanning the brain of a really good trader... and the trader had an extremely overactive frontal lobe and i thought that was funny cause when i trade a get a huge headache there

i pulled this off of wiki

"The frontal lobe contains most of the dopamine-sensitive neurons in the cerebral cortex. The dopamine system is associated with reward, attention, long-term memory, planning, and drive. Dopamine tends to limit and select sensory information arriving from the thalamus to the fore-brain. A report from the National Institute of Mental Health says a gene variant that reduces dopamine activity in the prefrontal cortex is related to poorer performance and inefficient functioning of that brain region during working memory tasks, and to slightly increased risk for schizophrenia."

and this

"The executive functions of the frontal lobes involve the ability to recognize future consequences resulting from current actions, to choose between good and bad actions (or better and best), override and suppress unacceptable social responses, and determine similarities and differences between things or events.
    The frontal lobes also play an important part in retaining longer term memories which are not task-based. These are often memories associated with emotions derived from input from the brain's limbic system. The frontal lobe modifies those emotions to generally fit socially acceptable norms."

i think biologically some of us are doomed to fail in this business and you should know yourself and know whats involved before you try.
    I describe the rush as adrenaline/heart attack/ and anxiety attack all at once

lol if you watch UK's trading show i just saw a thread about this and watched the shows .... some girl cried and couldnt pull the trigger

sounds about right i guess.

i still get the same feeling when i move up a lot size

#35     Jan 17, 2009
  6. Redneck

Redneck

NY Hood

What we’re essentially talking about are beliefs, and how people view the same situation/ condition differently, and respond to same

(I hope we can agree everyone is different, and will see / experience the same situation differently)

i trade,get a HUGE RUSH IN THE MORNING BEFORE THE BELL.

1.) I look forward to going to work each day

if i have a losing day,i cannot wait for the next trading day so i can recoup my losses.

2.) I sit down each night and analyze each day’s work; If I’ve incurred losses I dissect why and adapt so as to correct them the next day.

2a.) And by the way I’ve programmed myself – I will not let loosing trades run… HOWEVER – I also know I obviously can’t make every trade a winner… But I have enough confidence in the way I trade that if all of a sudden I’m consistently loosing – the problem is within me (inside my head) and I just need to identify it and fix it

if i have a bad week,i cannot wait for the friggin weekend to end so i can start trading again on monday.

3.) Please see item 1

if i get a margin call,i immediately pay it so i am alloud to trade as soon as possible.

4.) In the process of learning how to loose I had one margin call – it actually humbled me and help me learn to control losers

i get bored listening and talking about subjects that don't revolve around stocks., thats called being focused and loving what you do right?????

5.) I am always open to learning, and I believe everyone has something they can teach me so I do talk about trading to other traders… But on the other hand outside my immediate family (wife & kids) no one knows I trade – so I have conservations about a whole host of things as well

If i have a losing day i beat myself up and swear it was only due to LACK OF DISCIPLINE........had i only followed my rules,i would not have taken a loss.

6.) I have no real comment on this one Sir – I believe gaining/ improving disciplined is akin to evolving in one’s chosen field

wait,trading is all about risk,too disciplined and no one makes money...wtf!

7.) To me it’s all about Probabilities and Risk management

wait,all this talk about compulsion,and interest in stocks is really me just being dedicated right; thats a good thing????

8.) Please see 6

Increasenow

for real?seriously?what did u trade to accomplish this?what was your account balance when u started trading?

Why not just take a person at their word – if he did – GOOD FOR HIM – If he didn’t – then who does it really affect, and for that matter - how would it really affect them?

So in the big picture does it really matter Sir, just be happy for him and move on?

I believe envy, greed, jealously to be a traders achilles heal

Take Care

#36     Jan 17, 2009
  7. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

I am not a bit surprised at the replys to my posts, as most people don't like having to think, they just want the details spelled out in plain black and white!

Well, life is not that simple, sorry!

I have no doubt that some traders are able to make money, but what really matters is the amount of hours put in, the mental effort and last, but not least, the family disruption caused!

If one is trading fulltime, unless they are living and enjoying life to the full, then they might as well be working in a "normal" job.

To get to the level that I speak of, there are but a limited number of ways to trade the markets, and, there are very few that can actually do it, and those few do not part with the information that easily.

It takes a long time, and very hard work, to gain the respect of such people, but when they see that the person is genuine, and will not spell it out in "black and white" for all to see, they will then part with some of the information that has taken them years to discover, along with losing large amounts of money.

If you think I am speaking rubbish, then think again!

#37     Jan 17, 2009
  8. nysestocks

nysestocks Guest

As per my last post, it answers nearly all of yours below!

I will however add, that volume is of limited value in trading, for several reasons, and the main one being manipulation.

A scalper "glued" to a 1 min chart, trying to see if he/she can match a certain formation with a volume increase / decrease, is just doing the same as every one else who trades, and that is, trying to see something that is not there.

Then, when they get filled, and the market suddenly changes direction, they say, oh well, "that's trading"!

It is trading all right, but it is not "real trading", it is just more of what the majority do!

#38     Jan 17, 2009
  9. i dont think i know your speaking rubbish..

i know people who use indicators have 12- 20 different ways to be consistent and profitable in the market but they only use a few

i myself i have around 20 good backed up with real trading profitable strategies that dont use indicators im in works and have ideas for about 5 more.

all of them are different... there are VAST possibilities unfortunately im only one person and can only create so many

trading is hard work and its takes a certain breed of people to be able to do it...

its not like any other job in the world.... family disturbance ... please if you trade for yourself you can make enough daily in 3 hours to be ok and spend the rest with your family thats not even a point.

the amount of hours put in??? seriously? you think it takes any more hours to get a engineering degree than to learn to trade? you need to know your the type of person to do it yes ... and have the drive... but hours isnt a question.. everyone has to put in effort to receive gain.

i part with my information freely to whoever wants it why? because i can tell you my thoughts behind trading and how i think it works but it only makes sense to me.. your gonna have a hell of a hard time learning me and my approach.. but if you do you learn a SYstem of creation not a system to trade ... a system of creation of systems of trade.

losing money would be their own faults.... if you dont take the time to demo... a year or so than you deserve to lose money.

look you would know this stuff if you traded or even put a thought behind your comments the only reason im even commenting on your BS is your in my thread were we are trying to talk about letting go of attachment to the screen and your hindering our process with your BULL SHIT

#39     Jan 17, 2009
  10. lol volume is BS-well at least to me as im in FX but i feel it could work with good analysis done and understanding but yeah that is right but i put that part in there to relate what you said and how you said it with how and what other known clueless gurus say

#40     Jan 17, 2009