Add computer or monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trader_Herry, Aug 22, 2006.

1. gnome

gnome

Not much different. The new mobos have PCIE *instead* of AGP.

A typical configuration for a PCIE mobo today is

1 or 2 PCIEx16
    1 PCIEx4
    1 PCIEx1
    2 or 3 PCI

There are not many PCIEx1 cards yet, just lots of x16s. Computers are being designed for gaming nowdays.

And yes, you can add PCI video cards to a PCIE rig.

#11     Aug 23, 2006
  2. That's a good question. The pc I bought last still had 4 pci slots by I see that they're reducing those and adding more pci-e yet I don't believe card makers like Matrox have really adapted to that yet? I'm not sure yet which route to go for my next setup. I need to build another 16 monitor rig by March '07.

#12     Aug 23, 2006
  3. gnome

gnome

Both Matrox and NVidia have PCIEx1s now. Nvidia has a Quad x1, Matrox a dual x1.

#13     Aug 23, 2006
  4. Trustme

Trustme

So if I understand this right, I could get two PCIe x1 cards (for example this one: http://www.matrox.com/mga/media_center/press_rel/2005/g550_lp_pcie.cfm) and plug them into one PC - first card into the 16x slot and the second into a remaining pci-e one?

An important factor for me is always noise. I try to stick with passive cooling.

Thanks
    TM

#14     Aug 23, 2006
  5. gnome

gnome

Correct, but Matrox has a dualheaed X1 also. The X1 cards will work in all PCIE slots, regardless of size.

Suggest you check out the Nvidia Quadro NVS line. I believe they will display higher DVI resolution, if applicable.

#15     Aug 23, 2006
  6. I've Made a couple of replies in the past couple of days but only one person has replied back and it didn't even help me.Just to let everyone know i already know all about the Gpu And memory and pipelines so please don't send me a reply telling me what it all isbecause i already know what to look for. Now to get on with it i'm looking for a 256Mb Agp Video card. I'm a gamer so I need a very good video card but like most people i don't have a very big budget. The most i can spend is aroun 180$ maybe 200$ but i'd rather it be 180$. I would've spent a little more but i had an older computer and i needed to replace it. Its now a celron roughly 3.06GHz to 3.1Ghz and i currently have 512 mb(i'm going to upgrade to 1 Gb im waiting to buy the video card).I have enough power supply the most high-end cards(about 500+ watts i'm not exactly sure how much).I Love to Play First Person Shooters so it should be a Nvidia Geforce or anything that plays Open GL And it must be an AGP. I'm sure that some of you have spent alot more time researching and finding good video cards Its been a long time since i got one so I'm a little out of the loop on what are the chaep good gaming cards for gamers and i've only been looking for 4 days so if anyone knows of some good gaming cards that would meet my budget please get reply as soon as possible for i would like to get one as soon as possible so i can get back to gaming although if it takes acouple weeks more than thats alright i'm not in a real hurry i just want a quality card that will play games for about the next two years. thanks for whoever reads this all the way through and thank you even more if you reply.

#16     Aug 23, 2006
  7. No, I have 3 19"s LCD right now 2 diff mfgs with a used Matrox 4 head card off of ebay for $120. That said I have had major problems with driver conflicts with my onboard video, 4 hours later last night all is resolved. If you mix and match video cards from diff mfgs you may have issues I have read somewhere on this board. Make sense? Just be careful with a computer with onboard video, they aren't good for trading IMO. I was totally green when I purchased last year, so live and learn.

Dan

#17     Aug 23, 2006
  8. DannoXYZ

DannoXYZ

You need to come up with some QUANTITATIVE STANDARDS other than just the price. For example:

- FPS in standardized benchmarks of Game#1, Game#2, Game#3 (some cards work great with some games and not others, and vice-versa)

- primitives benchmark, such as polygons/sec, 3D/matrix/vector manipulations, shading/rendering speeds

- power-consumption & heat-generation (may dictated power-supply upgrade and perhaps even a new case)

Build a spreadsheet table comparing all the measurement metrics, including price, and you'll have your answer. Personally, I'd dedicate separate machines to trading and playing games.

#18     Aug 23, 2006
  9. dnouche

dnouche

once you get a multiple monitor setup, you've got to buy Ultramon.. Just google for the download.. It's 20 bucks I think.

#19     Aug 23, 2006
  10. Does no one understand that all i want are some names of some good video cards my budget and are good for gaming. I've already taken power supply and all that other crap. I'm not stupid. If I wanted to ask about pipeines and GPU's i would've looked at apre written forum that tells me about it not wait for someone to reply back i just want to get some names of cards that run high end games that are a decent price thats all. Sorry if i was out of line herte but people just keep telling me the same thing ask someone else heres a page that tells you what to look for in a video card. I already know. just give me names i don't care if its one just give me anything at all the will be good for gameing. again i'm not stupid i already have alot of knowledge about video cards and know about the things that you want in a video card memory a fast GPU an Open GL because i like FPS.Thanks for trying though DannoXYZ. i'm not trying to be An A**H*** but i haven't gotten one useful reply yet.i will state i have a Celron(I'm aware they are crappy and noy good for gaming)3.06GHz an 80GB and 300Gb hardrive and 1Gb Ram (just upgraded).itthe card must be AGP and play any game on the market at pretty high settings i only have 200$ to spend. i have had to dig for change under my couch and around my house to get this much money. please reply anyone .

#20     Aug 23, 2006