ADD/ADHD traders

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by hippie, Nov 28, 2010.

1. ElCubano

ElCubano

Thank you southbeach, although I am not a doctor I am my sons best advocate. You have to understand that every kid with adhd or on the spectrum is different from each other. To say it works great on his daughter doesnt say much as to how it will work on my son. My opinion on longterm usage of medication is due to the side affects that may come about from it. Remember Just cause a Doctor says one thing doesnt necessarily mean it is the correct way to go. He has not spoken to one teacher nor has he been in class with my son day in and day out to make such a determination. Recently I had a meeting with my sons teachers and they told me that while he may not be entirely focused on the material , he can easily be redirected back to it if he starts to day dream. In other words it is not something that is detremental to his progress at least now. Thank you for taking the time to post...Ill keep u guys posted.

#51     Dec 19, 2010
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

Fantastic post... at first I didnt even care about education, I was more focused on him having friends and being able to socialize, he has grown leaps and bounds by attending a social group which has worked wonders for him. Now our focus is academic, the kid is a genius in math but lacks focus on things that dont interest him...peace

#52     Dec 19, 2010
  3. Folks,

If the ultimate goal is to "fit in" and "be able to focus on doing "homework" then wonderful! Drug your kid up, and perhaps he will turn into the perfect little do-gooder who never questions the WHY. THen later in life when he wonders who he is or why his life is spent in obedience and suffers the depression/drug abuse of an individual who never actualizes their true gifts or potential, well, you will be as much to blame as anyone.

Why exactly are kids given so much useless "homework?" WHY are kids asked to do things that are 100% antithetical to their natural abilities, personalities, and interests? It is DAY CARE disguised as education. It is brainwashing, particularly in public schools.

Folks, the world does not NEED more "yes men" "cubicle jockeys" and other commodity workers. Today, the world most rewards those who are able to best harness their NATURAL ABILITIES and get a relative advantage over others in the business world/workplace. You do this by FOCUSING and developing your natural gifts in a productive way.

If you have an "ADHD" kid who seems to have some natural gifts, I suggest this:

Tell him flat out that the "system" of homework and "publik school" is a fraud, then TEACH HIM how to game the system: Get the maximum output for each unit of time spent. Tell him it is a game and the only purpose is to get an "A" in the least amount of time. I learned that at least 90% of tests can be reverse-engineered so that study time can be radically cut down. ADHD kids like this super focused, "All meat" approach to things.

That is all school is. At one time kids had to do physical WORK for a living, so let him know in a historical context this new form of penury is not all that bad.

If he can do this it will free him up to LEARN what he is naturally good at, do his own private reading, private projects, computer programming, chess clubs, science projects, internet business, design projects, etc.

The focus of "education" should not be how well one can COMMODIFY oneself or meet the expectation of "teachers" but rather to harness his natural drives and abilities. ADHD kids, are the NON-COMMODITY workers who need a different type of approach. If you can accept this and teach your kid to have self esteem in who he naturally is, he will have a huge leg up and will have the opportunity to live life on his terms.

#53     Dec 19, 2010
  4. ElCubano

ElCubano

this is what i focus on the most, self esteem. I do this by talking to him straight up, as if it isnt a big deal but just something he may want to work on ( like a physically handicap kid may also need to adapt). By showing him how the world is made up of many disabilities and by most importantly understading ( and it took me a long time) his world...Thanks for your post.

#54     Dec 19, 2010
  5. orl

orl

I am very skeptical of lifelong medication. I am not saying it is wrong for everybody, but I tried medication for a little period some years ago and found it horrible. I was calmer, yes, but my speed of thought also slowed down.

I think that with exercise and some "meditation" one should be able to channel the energy into positive endeavors.

One thing you don't want to do though, is to make your child feel guilty or ashamed due to ADHD.

As far as the educational system goes, it needs radical reform.
    <object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zDZFcDGpL4U?fs=1&amp;hl=nb_NO&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zDZFcDGpL4U?fs=1&amp;hl=nb_NO&amp;rel=0&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

#55     Dec 19, 2010
  6. My son was ADHD in elementary school. Took ritalin for 2 years. The teachers said he was hyper at school and we already knew he was hyper at home. He is still a little hyper without the medication but has great focus on his studies at school as he has been getting almost all A's at school the last 3 years. So don't think he will have to take the medication for life. If he is focusing at school and getting good grades then he probably doesn't need any medication unless the teachers think he needs it.

#56     Dec 19, 2010
  7. Fantastic SNL machine for ADHD children. Use the beta frequencies. If anyone is curious about using one for their kid, drop me a PM.

http://www.mindalive.com/2_1_1.htm

#57     Dec 19, 2010
  8. I might use this for <i>me</i>, if it can guide me to either Alpha or Theta. (I'm not really interested in getting to Beta.)
    So, does it work in prompting the Alpha or Theta brainwave states too, or just Beta?

#58     Dec 19, 2010
  9. Redneck

Redneck

RM

fwiw I make my own...

Any frequency, and you can add (overlay) customize entrainment, messages, biofeedback, visualization, whatever

http://www.transparentcorp.com/

eta; I use a digital recorder and Bose noise canceling head phones for listening

RN

#59     Dec 19, 2010
  10. Absolutely, you dial the freq response you're looking for in the product. The autopilot program is great as well. I have an old Mind Gear PR-2X which is an excellent unit, albeit a bit large.

Check the response graphs: http://www.mind-gear.com/progs.htm

#60     Dec 20, 2010