ADD/ADHD traders

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by hippie, Nov 28, 2010.

1. I think there are shades of grey, and the degree of ADD changes with the person. Many people with it are very intelligent, and successfull, and have managed almost subconciously to develop a system for managing their life, thus fly under the radar..

Some dont, and really struggle. SOme are hyper active, some are mellow, and "aloof"...

What interests me is that if you take an IQ test, (and put the score aside) the pattern of performance in certain areas tends to fit a predictable pattern and is part of the diagnosis for having ADD.

#31     Dec 5, 2010
  2. I was having a similar issue, what helped me was a ET member Vienna's suggestion to use the pomodora time management technique. So I break my trading day down in 20 min segments and force myself to get up and stretch, get a drink of water after each segment. it did wonders for me, sustained focus has become a habit for me.

http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/

#32     Dec 5, 2010
  3. mokwit

mokwit

Great thread.

I would endorse the first 96 pages of The Da Vinci method.

Also, IMO ADD does exist as a separate entity from not being able to focus on boring stuff. Sometimes I am unable to structure a document for weeks and then the fog clears and I can do it in minutes, and then I can go back to being able to do it. hat said I do accept that overall motivation levels come into it.

I endorse the view that if 2m children have to be put on drugs to go to school then there is something wrong with the school system, at least for their profile. I always knew I had a different intelligence - what I called a salesman/traders intelligence even though I am intensely analytical and painfully creative.

#33     Dec 5, 2010
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

The public education system is an indoctrination system to ensure that the plutocracy maintains power. Since Big Pharma is part of the plutocracy, it makes sense that they manufacture a way to profit from children who struggle to conform. They not only profit handsomely, they retain millions of children in their indoctrination system.

#34     Dec 5, 2010
    countercountertrend likes this.
  5. Most of the time, these drugs do not do much more than dulls the mind, giving an appearance of calm. Drugs gave me very unpleasant side effect so I rather deal with ADHD w/o the drugs.

As an adult, I manage the problem enough to function well in work environments that allow reasonable flexibility and autonomy. When I was young, I didn't fit into the school environment at all, starting in 1st grade all the way to 6th form. At the time, ADHD was unknown where I was, so I was treated like a willful problem misfit.

#35     Dec 6, 2010
  6. It is not a 10/10 book but I found it to be highly beneficial, yes.

#36     Dec 7, 2010
  7. Great book, tnx.

#37     Dec 8, 2010
  8. for those with ADD who take medication daily, I am curious if you worry about the side effects of taking it daily for the rest of your life. Also I am curious as to whether you keep the dose the same perpetually or if it needs to creep up over time.

#38     Dec 8, 2010
  9. Side effects depend on the drug I am sure. I havent heard of any serious ones for the common ADD meds. I think Doctors just put you on something else if you have any of the common ones..

As far as building a tolerance, I think Ritalin and Adderall (the stimulants) are the only ones where this would happen, but if you are taking them as prescribed (read: not abusing them or "getting high" off them, then you wont build a tolerance...

#39     Dec 8, 2010
  10. I read that ADHD can be treated with homeopathy. I am looking more into it, talked a homeopathy doc who prescribed some remedies. I am also reading up and and finding out more about it.

Homeopathy does not have side effects and is relatively inexpensive. If it works, it would be great for many people who drug themselves out for a tedious job or to stay in the school system.

#40     Dec 9, 2010