ADBE / AAPL takeover? - Options Trades

Discussion in 'Trading' started by livevol_ophir, Jan 15, 2010.

1. livevol_ophir

livevol_ophir ET Sponsor

I couldn't resist...

The same old rumor about AAPL taking over ADBE popped up again today. Out of sheer boredom I looked for some unusual order flow... And what do you know, I found some.

The day's largest trades from 1/7/2010 for ADBE are presented in the article. Simply put, someone sold a risk reversal 6500x and received $0.03. i.e Sold July 32 puts @ 1.43 and used that to fund a purchases of Jul 42 calls for 1.40. This is obvioulsy very bullish (unless it traded with stock).

I took a look at the Options Tab for several months to see if 6500 open interest (OI) is common. Lo and behold - it isn't. In fact, there is not a single line with OI greater than 2,574 in Feb, Apr, July, Jan 11, Jan 12 (other than the strikes in question).

Just for fun - how does this trade look if ADBE is taken over for $50?
    Gain = 6500*100*{$1.43 + ($8.00 - $1.40)}
    = $5,219,500

Details, prices, snaps on my blog here:
    http://livevol.blogspot.com/2010/01/aapladbe-takeover-rumors.html

2. thanks for the heads up

thats pretty much a synthetic long stock position.

i have been in a couple software merger deals, i.e. orcl/beas orcl/psft and orcl/sebl and the order flow didnt signal that kind of action. mostly otm combos across the expiry range, which is the way i played as well.

3. livevol_ophir

livevol_ophir ET Sponsor

We'll see... I didn't expect to find anything - when I did, I figured I'd share it.

4. Options noob here,
    so the trade generated a 0.03 credit?
    6500*100*0.03=$19,500 credit for doing the trade?

5. livevol_ophir

livevol_ophir ET Sponsor

Right.

6. So what kind of margin is required to put on such a trade?

I understand the gross proceeds don't include commissions. What is a likely fee for commissions?

I'm thinking with lets say Interactive Brokers at $1.00/contract that $6500 might be it.

can someone post a screenshot of the profit loss profile of such a position.

7. livevol_ophir

livevol_ophir ET Sponsor

It's a straight horizontal line from 32-42 on the x-axis ( at whatever credit after commissions is on the y-axis).

At 32 it goes linearly down at $650,000 per dollar.
    At 42 it goes linearly up at $650,000 per dollar.

See below

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp/
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp/
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp_&nbsp _&nbsp_&nbsp_&nbsp _/
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp/
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp/
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp/