Adaptive Trading Strategies

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by jalsck, Sep 4, 2010.

1. jalsck

jalsck

The attachment is an image of the state of the swarm as at the last bar. The bots that are spread throughout the entire parameter space are 'ghost' bots. Ghost bot signals are not used when generating the systems trading signal, but they are used during the bar by bar adaptation process. The cluster of bots is the 'live' swarm.

#51     Nov 10, 2010
  2. jalsck

jalsck

The attachment is the trade report for the S&P 500 ARM03 system using detrended data. As I mentioned earlier, the trade report needs some work.

#52     Nov 10, 2010
  3. jalsck

jalsck

I used the following parameter ranges for the QQQQ SMA Crossover system:

Plus SMA length 2 to 8
    Minus SMA length 20 to 40

The lookback period is 1,000 trading days. The results are not anything special. The attached file is an image of the equity curve.

#53     Nov 10, 2010
  4. jalsck

jalsck

The trade report for the QQQQ SMA Crossover system is attached.

#54     Nov 10, 2010
  5. The results you get are very disappointing. This is what I get with a stop and reverse system that buys when mov. avg 5 > mov. avg. 30 and sells when it is <. Equity curve is like a straight line up.

Total net profit 88.2400
    Total long trades 333
    Total short trades 49
    Winning long trades 236
    Winning short trades 11
    Total winning trades 247
    Total losing trades 135
    Win rate 64.65%
    Profit factor: 1.85
    Max. open drawdown -3.30

Obviously, your bots are doing something wrong. I get the feeling from looking at your open equity of about 8 versus the closed equity of just around 6.6 and the low win rate you get that the bots are taking the extreme parameter values.

#55     Nov 11, 2010
  6. jalsck

jalsck

Thanks for the trade report. I don't think it is the bots. I am using SMAs of the close and trading on the next open. Are you doing the same?

#56     Nov 11, 2010
  7. Yes, I use that file goodgoing uploaded. Trading starts on Jan. 2002. Actually, it turns out that the (5,30) system is a good one. I wonder why your bots fail.

#57     Nov 11, 2010
  8. jalsck

jalsck

It is related to the trading delay. I just set the trading delay to zero and the equity curve looks good. However, my understand is that a trading delay of zero means the system will trade on the current period's open. I need to take a close look at the trades. I don't usually trade on the open so I might have used the wrong setting.

#58     Nov 11, 2010
  9. jalsck

jalsck

According to the Dakota documentation my initial understanding of how the trading delay works was correct. I am going to check all values on a spreadsheet against a 'fixed' 5/30 parameter system in Dakota.

#59     Nov 11, 2010
  10. jalsck

jalsck

I checked a Dakota 5/30 system against a spreadsheet and they were in perfect agreement. I am using simple moving averages of the closing price and trading on the next open. The equity curve of the fixed 5/30 system is uglier than the adapted version.

#60     Nov 11, 2010