Actual video of closest flyby of asteroid on record

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, May 29, 2004.

1. nitro

nitro

Asteroid 2004 FH passed within 26,500 miles (43,000 KM) of Earth recently. By comparison, geostationary weather satellites orbit at an altitude of 22,300 miles.

Astronomers used the 14-inch (35.28-centimeter) SoTIE telescope in Las Campanas, Chile. They snapped a frame about every 31 seconds. You can see it here:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/asteroid_animation_040319.html

This one is about 1 1/2 times the size of the Arizona culprit which was only about 66 feet (20 meters) wide.

nitro

2. wow

[​IMG]

3. Geez, that is pretty freakin' close.

What are the estimated effects of a collision involving that size an asteroid?

4. Localized destruction. For instance, if it were to hit your local starbucks, you would not be getting Latte's the next morning.

5. Coins

Coins

What, no sound??

And... where is the spacecraft from the Level Above Human?

*smirk*

6. nitro

nitro

Well,

I believe that because it is small enough and depending on composition and depending on the angle of entry to the atmosphere, it could even explode and desintegrate in the atmosphere.

However, if it does get thru and impacts, it would release the equivalent amount of energy as a small thermonuclear weapon, but I guess in that case where it hits a starbucks, you won't be having lattes there anymore :D

nitro

7. Good thing I'm not a coffee drinker. :)