ActiveTick vs. IQFeed vs. IB (TOFTT)

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by SeattleAlgo, Sep 6, 2012.

1. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

The max symbol limit in IQFeed is 1800 symbols. Thus, you are right, you won't be able to watch 3000. 1800 of the most active symbols won't come anywhere near 1GB.

#71     Nov 27, 2012
  2. Perhaps, but even if it is just say 100 MBits, most customers won't be connected with a link that is capable of sustaining that speed, so bandwidth would still be a limiting factor. That's why it is generally better practice to calculate indicators locally.

#72     Nov 28, 2012
  3. Tom_R

Tom_R

I signed up for Active Tick in May and cancelled after a couple months. The technical issue I had was that their composite volumes were off. In the beginning I managed to talk to support and they said they were fixing it. But then two months passed and I never heard from them and found it impossible to contact them via email, phone or chat. So I got fed up and cancelled.
    I sent an email a couple days ago and they are again not responding .... do you have better results talking with them? Do you know if they fixed their volume issues?

#73     Dec 9, 2012
    Risk619 likes this.
  4. I don't know... I submitted 2 bug reports to them and have never heard back. Worse off, their real-time latency has recently and suddenly increased from 200-300 ms to 600-1000 ms average (happened across all of the equity exhanges, while my IB feed is coming with the same latency as before, so this is not likely to have anything with my internet connection). At this time I am keeping them as a low-cost source of historical tick data (they appear to have it starting from mid 2011), while I am working on my backtests. But if those backtests produce anything worth trading, I will likely need to look for a better quality source of real-time ticks. I just don't know what that would be if one wants cheaper than $1500 / month...

#74     Dec 9, 2012
  5. Tom_R

Tom_R

Yeah, if they aren't responsive at least to a degree (within 24-48 hours) then it's scary to trust them to anything. I managed to talk with the guy in charge once and it seems like this is a spinoff business for them. They are doing HFT and other sorts of trading and are already paying for the infrastructure so they decided to offer this service. But while it seems like they are talented in the tech dept, they don't get the customer side very well at this point or choose not to put in the effort.

#75     Dec 9, 2012
  6. Yea, these guys don't seem completely legit to me, I tried to get in touch with them and was also ignored.

I had a QuantQuote TickView demo account (limited to 5 symbols with 5 second delay) and recently signed up for the full service. Even with professional exchange fees, it is well below $500/month. Still kind of pricey, but worth it for support that usually responds in under a hour and the complete backfills they provide. It might be worth it for that alone, hard to get full tick resolution data for less than $500/month, it's like getting the feed for free.

#76     Dec 10, 2012
  7. tortoise

tortoise

I signed up for DTN/IQ last night, just out of curiosity. Right now, their data looks to be running about 10 minutes behind the market. The PRE-market.

Awesome!

#77     Dec 10, 2012
  8. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

10 minutes behind the market = you have the exchange mandated delay. Contact your sales rep or our customer support via our 800# and we will check that we have the proper exchange agreements so we can enable the real time data for you.

BTW: You can verify the delay by right clicking the IQFeed Connection Manager, choosing "Display Apps" then "IQWatchQuote". Enter a symbol to view data and look at the "Delay" field. If its zero or blank, you are authorized for real time data on that symbol. Otherwise it will show the exchange mandated delay time.

#78     Dec 10, 2012
    Risk619 likes this.
  9. tortoise

tortoise

Yes, I've since discovered that. (Customer service/tech support answered the phone so quickly, for a moment I figured I'd dialed a wrong number. A big +1 there!) In any event, I gather you're a bit backed up this morning? In any event, awaiting backoffice magic.

#79     Dec 10, 2012
  10. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

Yes, Monday's are usually a bit backed up due to the higher level of compliance validation we must do as a professional market data company. All registrations/exchange agreements are reviewed and coming out of a weekend we normally have a large number of new customer registrations queued up. If you talk to your sales rep, they can usually walk your registration through and get it expedited. Sorry for the delay!

#80     Dec 10, 2012