ActiveTick vs. IQFeed vs. IB (TOFTT)

Discussion in 'Data Sets and Feeds' started by SeattleAlgo, Sep 6, 2012.

1. JamesEM

JamesEM

Should add that it prints the midpoints of every beginning and end of a second on the chart. Not in between.

#21     Oct 4, 2012
  2. OP- great review, thank you.

Has anyone compared Thompson/Reuters/Equis, eSignal, Tradestation real-time equity feeds?

#22     Oct 11, 2012
  3. I don't think Thompson Reuters can be directly compared to eSignal/Tradestation, it is a completely different product aimed at completely different market segments. Reuters works with Savvis to deliver their realtime data, the quote I got was $4k/month, and you need a dedicated 100MBit pipe to your machine...

@ OP, can you post some sample data from the vendors you tested? I'd like to compare against QuantQuote TickView data I saved during my trial last week.

#23     Oct 13, 2012
  4. QuoteCenter at $135/mo. (MetaStock, powered by Thomson Reuters) looks like a pretty good option. I skimmed through their API doc that the sales rep sent me, looked like they much more available than eSignal, which is the only on of these options I've used.

Anyone have any experience with QuoteCenter?

http://www.metastock.com/products/realtime/quotecenter/?overview

#24     Oct 14, 2012
  5. Tcl

Tcl

Does QuoteCenter work on linux using wine
    I checked the requirement and its a windows only application

Its important to note that AT and IQFeed and IB all work on linux (IQFeed uses wine)

The only other linux compatible feed i know of is Barchart

#25     Oct 14, 2012
  6. mcdull

mcdull

I tried to install QuoteCenter on CentOS 5 and Scientific Linux 6 using wine. Both failed.

#26     Oct 14, 2012
  7. Yea, I forgot to mention, QuantQuote TickView is natively Linux, on Windows, it needs to run under Cygwin.

I think there should also be a distinction made between 'push' and 'pull' type data feeds. Feeds where you are pulling the data via an API tend to scale badly because of the time it takes to make say 1000 requests. On the other hand, feeds that push you the data open a socket connection and continuously pipe data over as soon as it is available and have much less delay. The downside is much higher bandwidth usage.

#27     Oct 14, 2012
  8. Tcl

Tcl

Another interesting option to get more data feeds on linux

Is to use Sierrachart, Sierrachart can also run on linux using wine
    and in addition to IQFeed, IB and Barchart

You will also be able to connect to TD Ameritrade
    Of course you will not be able to use the feed outside Sierra
    But you can program your own studies and indicators inside Sierra

So if one is interested to using linux, sierrachart should definitely be under his radar

#28     Oct 14, 2012
  9. fareastcoast - great point. Of the data providers you tested, which are "push" and which are "pull"?

Also, still interested to hear if anyone has used QuoteCenter...

#29     Oct 15, 2012
  10. It seems like the vast majority of the offerings out there are 'pull'. My platform is CentOS, the only natively Linux 'push' data feed I can find is TickView (https://quantquote.com/live-data-feeds)
    I was offered a 2 week free trial which I took, was able to set everything up properly without too much trouble in a couple hours. I don't need a feed quite yet, but when I do, I will probably go with this one.

The other product I investigated is the Elektron (http://thomsonreuters.com/products_services/financial/financial_products/a-z/elektron_real_time/)
    They said it would be possible to do a trial, but the pricing was through the roof so I didn't bother setting it up. For the price they are asking though, I'm sure it works and they will offer good support...

#30     Oct 15, 2012