Acronis Trueimage can't help...any other idea?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Bernard111, Jul 5, 2008.

1. I'm using Windows XP Pro.
    Using the cmd and the rd command to the delete the 'bad' folder , I'm getting the 'directory is not empty' message.
    Also the command del C:\bad -do you want to proceed... do not delete anything.

#11     Jul 7, 2008
  2. Benard111

Yes, you will get the directory not empty message if you have not deleted the files in each directory.

Yes using the command prompt to do this is a pain, but it is often at least a solution.

You can use the cd\"directory name"\"directory name"\"etc."
    to get down to the lowest level directory. Then "del *.*" to delete all files in the directory. Once the directory is empty, you can go the the directory above, which will be the directory the now empty directory is located in and use the rd "directory name" command.

The command to move up one directory is "cd.."

If you type in "dir/o/p" it will give you an alpha list of your directories and pause at each full screen so you can view them.
    Just hit enter or any key for the next screen full of info.

After deleting all files and directories you want to remove, reboot your system and then you might be able to proceed.

I hope this helps.

If you don't have too many directories and subdirectories it usually isn't too bad.

Nutsneal

P.S. One other thing, within Windows, you many need to rename the directories with old DOS type "eight character maximum and no spaces" type file names so you are able to remove the directories using the rd command at the command prompt. I have had to do this in the past.

Also, make sure you close windows explorer or any other windows program which may be using the files and directories you are going to be deleting.

#12     Jul 7, 2008
  3. I killed the explorer.exe process and used the cmd to del *.* but the message I got from Windows is cmd.exe - File Damaged - "The file or the directory is damaged or unreadable. Run the Chkdsk utility",
    That this leads back to the main issue described on the first post.
    :eek: :mad:

#13     Jul 13, 2008