Acronis Trueimage can't help...any other idea?

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by Bernard111, Jul 5, 2008.

1. I have a PC with files that can't the read or deleted even on Safe Mode ('cannot delete files/folders: the file or directory is corrupt and unreadable' --they are not wav, mpeg, mp3...etc ).

The MS 'solution' is: backup the volume excluding those files; reformat the PC, re-install everything , etc...

At the same time I need to delete them since often at the Windows boot, the system runs the scandisk trying to fix the issue but without results. Also even using the Windows Console and del command did not help; even chkdsk /f c: did not help.

So I need a software that is able to create a bootable backup of the OS (Windows XP Pro), system settings and programs of the existing PC but without copying a couple of data folders since most of that files/folder cannot be read/write.

What I mean is I can't backup fully or clone the existing hard disk C since this would re-create an image (or a clone) containing those errors; so I need a 'selective' backup but that is able to be bootable - once restored- with all of the installed software.

It's my understanding that TrueImage (or any 'Echo' release or SnagDeploy) is not able to do that (excluding non system/critical files and folders during an image backup ).
    I contacted Acronis Tech Support and unfortunately they can't help me to fix my issue. In fact, the tech support wrote me:
    "..you cannot exclude anything if you create the full backup and only the full backup can be bootable after the restore".

- So, is there any other backup software able to recreate an image skipping a specific data folder but creating a bootable system once restored ?
    :confused:

2. MGJ

MGJ

I'm surprised. The backup software I'm using has a feature called "Source Files Exclusion" that lets me give a list of folders and/or files that should not be included in the backup media. See the bottom panel below -- notice the green check mark and the "Add" button at lower right.

I'd also consider booting windows in "Safe Mode" (hit function key F8 during boot) and trying to delete the file from that configuration.

[​IMG]

3. gnome

gnome

I once asked Laplink about this and they said, "can't copy programs selectively".

Back in the days of DOS, each program was fully contained in one folder. But since Windows, programs install with bits in many locations outside the primary folder.

4. OK, but this "Source Files Exclusion" feature is inside a procedure for creating a simple image backup or a backup that should be bootable once restored?

5. Ok, but I simply need to backup a bootable hard disk excluding a folder containing non programs-related files.

6. gnome

gnome

Excluding "anything" is the problem.. to copy some things but not all things apparently is a very difficult task.... one which the software makers have not solved, nor apparently care to.

From what I've been told, sounds to me like you have zero chance of accomplishing what you want.

7. sg20

sg20

You could possibly change the security setting for the folder and make you the owner instead; after the change you might be in effect remove the folder or able to read the file.

8. Bernard111

What operating system are you using?

Can you get to a command prompt?

A lot of times you can delete files and then rd (remove directory) from the command prompt even if you can not access these files in windows.

Nutsneal

9. bl33p

bl33p

Which Windows is this? rmdir /s directoryname does not help?

Are you the owner of the dir and files, right click on folder, properties, security tab, is your username and administrator listed there with full control permissions? And in here, click advanced and check the 'replace permission entries..' after making sure that you and administrator do have full control rights. Check the rights state with the effective permissions tab. Check that you and administrator are listed as owners on owner tab.

And just to make sure, you have tried to remove these as administrator?

Can you move these dirs dragging and dropping or with the command prompt MOVE command? If yes, move them to an empty drive and format the drive.

10. I'm the administrator.

#10     Jul 7, 2008