Ackman finally exits HLF!!

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Humble Investor, Feb 28, 2018.

1. piezoe

piezoe

I understand. Though we wish it weren't so. sometimes companies succeed despite unscrupulous behavior at the top. Is shorting such a company, assuming that the bad behavior will get recognized and punished, wise?

#21     Mar 1, 2018
  2. Correction, it's actually more like 4%...

#22     Mar 1, 2018
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

No its not. Legality and morality aren't equivalent.

He's beating Einhorn.

#23     Mar 1, 2018
  4. True dat...

#24     Mar 1, 2018
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

"On paper I made a billion [in Herbalife]." - Icahn.

It's when you sell (all your shares) that counts.

#25     Mar 1, 2018

6. What if you own 1,000,000 shares, and you sell 999,999 of them, retaining 1? I think I would say what counts has already been done!!! :p

#26     Mar 1, 2018
  7. So what was Ackman thinking? Was he thinking that Herbalife was a pyramid scheme that would eventually run out of suckers and earnings would stop/plummet? And in fact earnings continued to grow?

Or was he thinking there was some inside fraud or something, and this was never found?

Man, I gotta try and find that audio from 5 years ago or what not between Ackman and Icon -sounds epic! How could one guy be so wrong, and one so right, taking completely opposite ends of the spectrum, when presumably they are both savvy financial guys?

#27     Mar 1, 2018
  8. Just listened to the Ackman Icahn audio on youtube. Two thoughts:

1. They weren't really arguing about Herbalife at all. Icahn didn't even say/admit he was long Herbalife, even when the CNBC guy pressed him. They were arguing about completely unrelated stuff, about setting a lawsuit, whether Icahn told Ackman he wanted to be friends, etc.

2. Icahn sure seemed to come across as a big jerk. He seems to have some reverence around here, but he DID seem like a bully and a guy who wouldn't hesitate to stab you in the back and lie you your face and everyone elses.

#28     Mar 1, 2018
  9. SunTrader

SunTrader

Uhhh yeah duh. He is keeping one share because ya never know Herbalife might turn into another Berkshire Hathaway. Uhhh yup.

#29     Mar 1, 2018
  10. Bump!!!

#30     Mar 2, 2018