Acer 24" Any good for trading ES?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxon22, Apr 23, 2007.

1. I have a Gateway 24" 1080p monitor and 2 generic 19" LCD's. The 24" is expensive, but I use it for entertaining myself during the day.

JAC

#41     May 8, 2007
  2. Is anyone using one of these 24" Acer's? If so how is it holding up? I see them advertised for $279 after MIR. Seems like a great deal IMHO...

-Guru

#42     Dec 16, 2007
  3. CompUSA just had ACER 24's for $249..YES ONLY $249!!! :cool:

That was one heck of a great deal! :)

#43     Dec 16, 2007
  4. Was that $249 during black Friday?

#44     Dec 16, 2007
  5. #45     Dec 16, 2007
  6. Yes they had that price on Black Friday too.

#46     Dec 16, 2007
  7. I've used a 19" and 22" and they're great.

#47     Dec 16, 2007
  8. I recently got a 24" Acer from Micro Center. After the $100 rebate (and I actually received the rebate) and tax it was $326. That was a couple months ago. Does the job. I think I paid more for my 19" Viewsonic that crapped out after 4 years.
    The extra res over the 19" is nice. Running at 1920 x 1200 with about a 4 year old Invidia Quadro FX1100.

#48     Dec 16, 2007
  9. Bingo, I grabbed the same deal. Back in October. They were blowing them out for $299 + Tax... (with rebate)

Nice monitor, I bought a few. Definitely blows the 1600 x 1050 RES my 20's were giving me....

#49     Dec 17, 2007
  10. FYI . . .

Fry's has a 24" Envision G416 on sale right now with two mail-in rebates that bring the price down from $369 to $279

Supports 1900x1200 resolution with 3000:1 contrast ratio, 400cd/m2 brightness, and both DVI and VGA inputs. Cables for both, included.

Screens are made by TPV of Hong Kong and distributed via Envision of Fremont, CA.

Here is a review by John Delaney from PCMag from March 3rd, 2008:

"If you're itching to take advantage of the spacious screen real estate that comes with a 24-inch LCD panel but can't justify spending upwards of $500, consider the Envision G416. Priced at just $400 (street), this stripped-down display is a good performer, though it offers little else in terms of features.

There's nothing fancy about the design of the G416. In fact, it's one of the most generic-looking displays I've seen. The 1,920-by-1,200-resolution panel is housed in a nondescript black cabinet and sits atop a rigid square base. The display doesn't swivel and you can't adjust the height, but you can tilt the screen 5 degrees forward and 15 degrees backward. Input connections are limited to DVI and analog, and you get cables for both, but that's it. There are no USB ports, nor do you get an alternative video input such as S-Video, HDMI, or component video. The Westinghouse L2410NM, on the other hand, offers many other connection options, including a TV tuner, but it's more expensive and lacks a DVI port. The G416's DVI port is HDCP-compliant, however.

Five smallish function buttons, centered along the lower bezel, are used to change display settings through the on-screen menu system. The use of small black lettering on a black background renders their labeling all but unreadable. Better keep a flashlight handy.

Three of the buttons act as hot keys that let you toggle between video sources, invoke the Auto Adjust function, and choose one of six preset Eco Modes optimized for viewing specific applications. Selections include Text, Movie, Internet, Sports, Game, and Standard modes. You can tweak the usual array of image settings via the on-screen display (OSD) system. Settings include luminance (brightness, contrast, gamma), hue, and saturation. You can also use the phase and clock sliders to reduce vertical and horizontal line noise and sharpen the image.

One of the more unusual features found in the OSD is Dynamic Color Boost, which offers two methods of image enhancement: Color Boost and Picture Boost. In addition to being able to change color temperatures (warm, cool, normal, sRGB, and user defined) you can choose between five Color Boost settings that accentuate specific colors by manipulating saturation and luminance levels. According to Envision, the Natural setting should be used for human portraits, Blue for sky or ocean images, Green for large areas of green (think football), and Auto for outdoor or garden shots. Personally, I found all the Color Boost settings to be oversaturated and way too bright, as if somebody had turned color temperature, contrast, and brightness all the way up. Highlight details were completely washed out in each instance. Needless to say, I would not recommend using these presets for any reason, especially if you desire a reasonable degree of color and grayscale accuracy. There's also a DCR (Dynamic Contrast Ratio) control that kicks the contrast ratio up to 3,000:1 (normally it is at around 1,000:1). That also caused the screen to be overly bright, resulting in washed-out highlights and a subpar picture.

Picture Boost lets you change the brightness, contrast, hue, and saturation settings on an area of the screen of your choosing (a frame) to create a highlighted effect. You choose the frame size and its positioning on the screen, adjust the levels, and click on Bright Frame to enable the frame. I can see how this might come in handy for a presentation where you'd want to highlight the same screen area throughout the entire presentation, like a static title bar, for example. Other than that, I'm not sure that this is a very practical feature, since you have to go into the OSD to enable it and change the frame position. If they could find a way to let you change the frame size and position the frame on the screen with a mouse, it would be more useful for jazzing up presentations on the fly.

Oddly, I could find nothing about the use of Dynamic Color Boost in the user guide or on Envision's Web site. If you want to use the Color Boost and Picture Boost features, you are pretty much on your own.

I tested the G416 using the factory default settings, which means all Color Boost settings were disabled, as was the Dynamic Contrast Ratio effect. I fired up the DisplayMate (www.displaymate.com) diagnostic suite and was impressed with this monitor's performance. Color scales ramped nicely from dark to light, and small-text readability was very good. Arial fonts (5.3 points) displayed clearly without any garbled or illegible characters. There was some weakness at both ends of the grayscale, but it was slight and didn't affect color quality, although there was some loss of dark and light detail in my test photo. If you require a display that delivers top-notch grayscale reproduction, check out the EIZO FlexScan S2111W. Viewing angles were pretty much as advertised (160 degrees) from all directions. The panel's 5-millisecond pixel response time delivered smooth video with only an occasional motion artifact. Although I did observe some smearing during a round of F.E.A.R., the 3D action looked okay on the big widescreen panel nonetheless.

Despite my grumblings about the Dynamic Color Boost features and the lack of multimedia ports, I think the Envision G416 is a good deal for anyone who wants a high-resolution 24-inch LCD panel for everyday use. It may not be the prettiest monitor on the block, but it will get the job done without breaking the bank."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2272767,00.asp

#50     Jul 29, 2008