Acer 24" Any good for trading ES?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saxon22, Apr 23, 2007.

1. gnome

gnome

What causes that? Don't they have 3 year warranty?

#31     May 7, 2007
  2. Tums

Tums

I would not buy a LCD monitor with less than 3 yrs warranty.

There are 3 basic components to a LCD monitor:

1. the liquid crystal panel -- making the panel is a very competitive business. There are only a handful of manufactures in the world who can make this at a profitable yield. They supply all the brand names you see on the shelf. You only have to watch out for dead pixels at the time of purchase. After that the panel seldom goes wrong.

2. The electronics -- this is the component that translates the signal from the graphic card and produces the image you see on the panel. Big brands would design their own, while smaller companies will OEM from the manufacturer. If this part goes wrong, it will go wrong on the thirteenth month.

3. Power module -- not the detached power supply that comes with the monitor. This is a module inside the monitor. If this goes wrong outside of warranty, take it to a TV repair shop. You can have it done at 1/3 the price.

#32     May 7, 2007

3. They do carry a 3 year warranty.

#33     May 7, 2007

4. Three year old panel is ancient history. By the time 2010 comes the price of 30" is going to be less than $500 with a resolution that will make our eyes pop.

#34     May 7, 2007
  5. Bootsie

Bootsie

I've got 4 Acer's running at the moment. Two of the four have been replaced twice and one has been replaced once.

Now, having said that, the dealer was a dream to work with, just took it back and gave me a new one each time. I've had to input his phone number on my cell as I've called him so many times.

Still, they were really cheap, which is what I wanted - and it appears that's what I got. It's just that my brother has some high end monitors that he really paid for - and has had to repair several times - that was my thinking.

:)

#35     May 8, 2007
  6. gnome

gnome

Interesting....

I've had about a dozen LCD monitors, including cheapos like KOGi, ProView, and Hanns-G (along with my Dell, Samsung, HPs, etc). Other than one which was DOA and immediately replaced, I've never had one fail.

Planar, a quality maker, claims only a 5/10,000 replacement rate during warranty period.

#36     May 8, 2007
  7. that's what she said.

#37     May 8, 2007

8. In my case,she moaned that the extra 2 inches made no difference .... on top of that 10 incher!!!!!
    :D :D :D :cool:

#38     May 8, 2007
  9. All my monitors are cheapies cause I can't tell the diff with charting, and that's all I use em for. Never had one fail. All are old. brands are GEM, KDS, and Envision (maybe that one isn't too cheap, but really old).

#39     May 8, 2007
  10. All my monitors are cheapies cause I can't tell the diff with charting, and that's all I use em for. Never had one fail. All are old. brands are GEM, KDS, and Envision (maybe that one isn't too cheap, but really old).

#40     May 8, 2007