Account up +46,9% since beginning of 2004

Discussion in 'Trading' started by heilbronner, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Now I know how you made them +46.9% :cool:

You know when to sit on your hands :D

#21     Jan 28, 2004
  2. Momento

Momento

Congrats Heil,

I would say that Jan was a nice run for me too.
    roughly 32% for me, (but a small account in 6 figures) :)

I think any intraday trader would agree with me that there were plenty of volatility to bank some serious bucks day in day out. My mid-term swing trades were not nearly as profitable as my intraday futures' trades.

Anyone second that?

#22     Jan 28, 2004

3. Thanks, Aaron.
    Hope, I'm not shouting here while I'm just one step away from the clip. Whenever one gets euphoric, he is just on the best way for the next big drawdown that will teach him the next big lesson.

#23     Jan 28, 2004

4. There is one guy from the Netherlands with an outstanding 54%!!!
    He made 100+ trades and has a 6 figure account. So he's the real master.

#24     Jan 28, 2004
  5. You obviously have not even a basic understanding of the concept of percentages, do you? What difference does it make whether his account is $10,000 or $100K? None, and if he made this 40+% with only one trade that's even better.

I am afraid that someone else should stop the nonsense in this thread....

#25     Jan 28, 2004
  6. le140

le140

52 % on a 30K account, I cash out every Friday and always keep
    about 30K in the trading account.

Trades about 10-15 times a day on all stocks that moves. No ES, still would like to get in on that action :)

good trading to all,

#26     Jan 28, 2004
  7. Kewl work and thank you so much for your repeated input to answer other's questions.

It is possible for a person to use his plan; get his belief system established and in a balanced way extract the potential of the market. It is a grind for some but for others it turns out to be a continuingly enjoyable task.

I enjoyed reading all your responses and I especially enjoyed reading your beginning post.

The person who keeps me company today did scaling trades for the first time today as we waited for the Greenspan". He averaged out 5% of margin doing this. I posted his per contract results for the 9th (10%), 12th (5%) and 13th (18%) to be responsive to others as you have been. Today was his first 10 point trade and his first 5 point trade as well. (Under Greenspan conditions which rarely occur). You can see that his results are like yours but in the ES which is highly leveraged for making money.

So enjoy and keep improving as time passes. We aren't as accomplished as some who make 50K on 10K capital over a year. We have only spent January so far so we don't know if we will make that pace of capital appreciation.

Congratulations.

#27     Jan 28, 2004
  8. razorack

razorack

"I was mostly long/short neutral in equity"
    This statement implies a hedged strategy. Which implies a concern for risk. This implies more than he has given us

Electron wrote

"You obviously have not even a basic understanding of the concept of percentages, do you? What difference does it make whether his account is $10,000 or $100K? None, and if he made this 40+% with only one trade that's even better."
    This statement implies that it is ok to hit home runs on a hedged strategy but how do you do that if it is truly hedged.

The old "the greater the risk the greater the reward" applies here.

I guess its just a sign of the times- people deluded into thinking they know how to trade because they got lucky.

By the way if you extrapolate his "hedged" rate of return to the end of 2004 he would turn 100k into 10.3m

#28     Jan 28, 2004
  9. ... congratulations. An outstanding performance.

Do you mind disclosing the general gist of your style?

It's usually helpful to try and figure out how much of it was the right wind and how much of it was the right seamanship.

If you trade relative value or from the short side, I would say your performance was truly outstanding. If trend following, I would say it is highly commendable.

#29     Jan 28, 2004
  10. ig0r

ig0r

I'm pretty certain he was doing it by putting on long straddles (look at NOK, one of his examples). This isn't technically market neutral, but rather dependent on volatility expansion. He wasn't truly market neutral.

#30     Jan 28, 2004