According to the donkeys at MSNBC, we are now running concentration camps.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Max E., Jun 16, 2018.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

#591     Jul 11, 2019
  2. Wallet

Wallet

Maybe the guy was born with a silver spoon and grew up in country clubs? No context, vague, one persons opinion taken as fact to push the narrative.

#592     Jul 11, 2019
  3. Cuddles

Cuddles

Or maybe the conditions are fucking terrible as widely reported

#593     Jul 11, 2019

4. THe problem is me caring about the problem does nothing becuase I am not in power, the parties in power and who have had power do not really care. I have listed many times ideas for a complete change in immigration policy and border security. But so what, I am not in charge.

#594     Jul 11, 2019
    DTB2 likes this.
  5. Cuddles

Cuddles

#595     Jul 13, 2019
  6. Cuddles

Cuddles

More than a decade of no migrant deaths under detention, the tally under trump passes 24; including 6 children.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/autopsy-details-death-guatemalan-migrant-child/

Now an autopsy report obtained by Texas Monthly provides new details about the death of Hernandez, the fifth Guatemalan child to die since December after being taken into Border Patrol custody. Conducted by Dr. Norma Jean Farley, a contract forensic pathologist for Hidalgo County, the autopsy concludes that Hernandez succumbed to the flu, complicated by pneumonia and sepsis, on or near the toilet of his South Texas Border Patrol cell.

He was fed at 2 a.m. May 20, and agents reportedly checked on him every hour, according to the autopsy. But some time later, in a video that Farley apparently reviewed, Hernandez “is seen lying on the floor, vomiting on the floor, and walks over to the commode, where he sits and later lies back and expires.”

The exact time of Hernandez’s collapse isn’t known because, as the report notes without explanation, “the time on the video is incorrect.” Regardless, the boy was found at 6 a.m. that same morning and declared dead twelve minutes later.

The circumstances of Hernandez’s death strengthen the criticism of Border Patrol’s handling of sick children. The agency is required to transfer unaccompanied children to the Office of Refugee Resettlement within 72 hours, but officials have acknowledged repeatedly failing to meet that requirement this year, including in Hernandez’s case. Hernandez was also never taken to a hospital despite the apparent seriousness of his illness and the fact that the flu has claimed the lives of two other Guatemalan children in Border Patrol custody in the last six months.

A veteran forensic pathologist who reviewed Hernandez’s autopsy, as well as the three other autopsies available for migrant children who died in custody, said she was alarmed at the conditions the children were kept in.

“Prolonged custody of mixed groups of migrants from different regions in close quarters increases the likelihood of transmission of respiratory pathogens such as influenza,” said Dr. Judy Melinek, a board-certified forensic pathologist in San Francisco and CEO of PathologyExpert Inc. “In my opinion, there needs to be a public health audit of the policies and conditions in these migrant camps and a forensic review of all migrant deaths.”

#596     Jul 25, 2019
  7. DTB2

DTB2

Just throw your support behind asylum seekers applying and staying Mexico. Problem solved for all parties.

We won't "kill" kids, the families won't be separated, I won't have to pay for their detention and you can reduce your bullshit posting.

I love it.

#597     Jul 25, 2019
  8. Cuddles

Cuddles

#598     Jul 26, 2019
  9. Cuddles

Cuddles

https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...o-possibly-decertify-immigration-judges-union

Trump administration mulls decertifying immigration judges' union

The Trump administration has reportedly taken a step to decertify an immigration judges’ union that has been repeatedly critical of President Trump and the White House’s policy proposals.

A Department of Justice (DOJ) spokesperson told The New York Times on Friday that the department filed a petition to the Federal Labor Relations Authority asking whether the National Association of Immigration Judges could have its certification revoked since its members are “management officials” and unable to collectively organize.

Members of the union have denounced the move as misguided and as an attempt to dismantle the group.

“This is a misguided effort to minimize our impact,” Judge Amiena Khan, vice president of the judges’ union, told the Times. “We serve as a check and balance on management prerogatives and that’s why they are doing this to us."

Judge Ashley Tabaddor, the union’s president, told The Washington Post that she thinks the petition is an attempt to “disband and destroy the union."

Immigration judges are unique in that, unlike federal judges, they are appointed by the attorney general and considered employees of the DOJ, the Times noted. Representatives of the immigration judges' union are permitted to publicly speak about DOJ policies that are deemed political. Sitting judges are prohibited from doing so.

Khan and Tabaddor have continued to publicly criticize the Trump administration's policies throughout the president's two-plus years in the White House. For example, the union in 2018 condemned an administration quota system that required judges to complete 700 cases annually.

The judges' union had reportedly said that the system hindered due process rights for immigrants in court. Tabbador had said at the time that the pressure to take on more cases was like “psychological warfare."

BuzzFeed News reported earlier this year that some immigration judges were leaving their positions because of changes to the court, as well as an increasing backlog driven by the administration's policies. The Justice Department has moved to help with the backlog, which is reportedly more than 830,000 cases.

But the union has still been critical of those efforts.

“I can’t work alone, I am reliant on support staff,” said Khan. “Right now there are two judges to one support staff person,” which has delayed the progress of cases despite the additional judges, she

#599     Aug 11, 2019
  10. Cuddles

Cuddles

Right to due process they said. We're not beholden to private prison lobbyists they said....

#600     Aug 21, 2019