Accidental Wash trade between 2 accounts, market manipulation??

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by apo99, Apr 26, 2019.

1. apo99

apo99

Hi guys im hoping someone can help me out here.

I have 2 buy orders in 2 different brokerage accounts for the same security at the same price.

In account A the order was filled at $0.25

In account B I got a partial Fill at $0.25

I put an order to sell at 0.28 in account A

And then accidently BOUGHT shares at 0.28 in account B instead of clicking sell at 0.28, inadvertently selling my shares from account A to account B according to lvl 2. Out of my whole order only $700 worth of stock was bought by me.

Is this a big deal? I have done wash trades in the past by accident and I would just get a call from my broker telling me what I did.

Has this happened to anyone before?

this was on the TSX not US exchanges

2. Overnight

Overnight

Is it a big deal on the TSX exchange? They may not have a wash-sale rule?

3. apo99

apo99

i dont think wash trades are allowed anywhere

4. No, it's not an issue why should it be? You think in 2019 algorithms at the SEC and other regulators are not smart enough to determine whether a Joe made a mistake regarding 700 bucks or whether they are dealing with institutional fraud or criminal organizations or individuals? Calm down and relax and realize the only damage you have done is enrich your brokers.

piezoe likes this.
  5. bone

bone

Oh good gravy Marie - I opened this thread anticipating something dramatic.

Somehow, please sleep easy tonight friend. :D

apo99 likes this.
  6. Overnight

Overnight

As you can intimate from bone's response, you should not have any troubles. I'd listen to him, he knows things, been around the block and all that.

7. apo99

apo99

Thanks again guys

8. maxinger

maxinger

IF you trade millions of dollars, then you should be very very worried duing such things.

9. zdreg

zdreg

spelling doing like duing is a much more serious violation except on ET.

bone, fullautotrading and apo99 like this.
  10. bone

bone

No, not really unless he’s trading OPM and using client funds to personally enrich himself at the direct detriment of said clients. Most every wealthy or successful trader I’ve ever met has an omnibus account or multiple accounts and this type of thing happens with regularity.

#10     Apr 27, 2019