Accessing MS Excel files if you don't have Excel

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by DATTrader, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Does anyone know if MS Excel files can be saved in some way so as to make them available to people who do not have Excel? For example, with MS PowerPoint and MS Access, you can save the files as self extracting versions that run them selves for access by anyone even if they do not have the programs themselves.

Specifically, I would like to create a spread sheet that does calculations using Macros, protect the worksheet, and then publish it so that someone without Excel could access the file in some way and execute the Macros. Thanks for any insights.

2. Fohat

Fohat

You can use the free Excel 97/2000 Viewer to view Excel 97/2000 spreadsheet files without having Excel installed.

3. I knew there was something like this and you were so much faster than me searching the web.....:)

4. Though it appears that you cannot execute macros with the Excel Viewer....which is what I needed. Oh well onto another solution.

5. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

You'll probably have to go to a control and use regular VB.

Perhaps farpoint spread www.fpoint.com or Visual Components FormulaOne www.visualcomp.com

They use spreadsheet calcs. Not quite as easy as Excel, but let's you avoid that Excel requirement