Access IB TWS on a network?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by almostatrader, May 8, 2003.

1. Does anyone know how you can run Interactive Brokers TWS on one computer and then access the data for something like Medved Quotetracker from a second computer on a network?

2. You cant do that unless you set up some sort of client server connection using RMI or SOAP. Quite a bit of programming.

3. You need a running TWS to access the IB data APIs. One solution might be to open 2 TWSs. One on your trading computer and the other for data access.

BUT TWS won't let you up open up two instances logged in at the same time for the same user(I think).

4. I don't see the issue here. Just access the API via socket, what's the big deal ?

5. angelo

angelo

Open a 2nd IB account (minimally funded) Then you can have 1 instance on one machine and one on the other

6. Yes it would use a socket connection at some level. But you also need a protocol to pass the messages to the classes. Either you would be using SOAP or RMI or you would be inventing something like it.

7. I really don't see the problem, you don't need soap or anything. I've been doing it for over a year. I use a gateway running IB (windows) and I have a linux box getting a feed from it. What's the issue ?

8. The data is being accessed from the linux box. Is it a charting program? What charting program works with linux?

What are you using to get the data feed from IB? Your own Java program, a program like QuoteTracker?

The windows box has the running version of TWS. Do you also have the TWS classes resident on the linux box?

9. I run my own proprietary system. The IB connexion is just a brokerage connexion, I use MyTrack as my primary market feed.
    I don't really know what to tell you except it uses the API with no SOAP or data sharing protocols. Plain and simple.

It's C not Java btw.

10. You are not using the IB data feed itself then for your charting program on the linux box?

#10     May 8, 2003