Abusive threads bordering on Slander

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by smallfil, Jul 11, 2018.

1. There's a difference between referring to someone as a "dickhead" and legal slander.

You understand the diff?

" slander
    n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed..."

#11     Jul 11, 2018
  2. Oral defamation....in a written forum...

wow...you cannot make this stuff up..no wonder the discourse is in the gutter.

#12     Jul 11, 2018
  3. smallfil

smallfil

Did you even read the thread? Nowhere was "dickhead" mentioned. It suggested he was a "predator". Huge difference between the two.

#13     Jul 11, 2018
  4. I'm aware of the definition of slander. But does what's said "materially harm the reputation" the one spoken about?

For example... calling a politico a "shithead"... accurately described or not, doesn't really do any harm to his reputation (we already know that)... and is different from falsely claiming he "committed sexual assault against a specific minor person". Damaging if true, of course. Slander if not true.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    #14     Jul 11, 2018
  5. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

You shouldn't take political boards so seriously. It's all fun and games. Listening to unhinged liberals whine about Trump is high quality entertainment. :D

#15     Jul 11, 2018
    traderob, JSOP and Clubber Lang like this.
  6. speedo

speedo

Anybody can sue over anything...realistic remedy is another thing.

#16     Jul 11, 2018
    wrbtrader likes this.

7. Scata clubs baby seals while pleasuring himself!

Not slander just because it is not true. Truth, or lack thereof, is not the only requirement. So I can say what I said above and it is not LIBEL.

Plus, public figures have a much higher standard for libel cases.

Trump is a racist who dislikes people of color!

Trump cannot sue me over what I said above.

#17     Jul 11, 2018

8. Could you post a link to the offending thread or post?

#18     Jul 11, 2018
  9. Going for a laugh, are you? (If so, lame attempt.)

#19     Jul 11, 2018
  10. Which "public figures" are posting on ET?

#20     Jul 11, 2018